Azure Damsel - Any reason not to?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would go fine in a 40g. They stay small. I had captive bred ones that were tiny and did fine (until the "purple tang incident" we do not speak of it). This time due to quantity, I got wild caught. still small though. I would have gotten captive bred as it would be my first choice.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, a damsel thread with out "they are all devil spawn", never thought I'd see the day :D

But seriously they are great fish to bring life, movement and colour to a reef and the azures are arguably the best choice.
They tend to be very hardy so a normal qt protocol works fine unless the supplier is a bit iffy. I'm jealous you guys can get them captive bred, which is very hard to do over here.

My thoughts exactly, I came back to this thread today to see if the sentiments had shifted, but that hasnt happened. I thought it was borderline blasphemy for people to say that springeri damsels arent devil spawn either. Now theres 2?!

I dont know what to think anymore...

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Tuesday!

I bought a captive bred Azure Damsel about 3 months back and the fish has been nothing but great. Takes to most foods, gives great color to the tank (also movement), spunky personality, and overall a great addition to a reef tank.

Out of all the damsels, this is the only one I have kept post cycle and been happy to move to my bigger display tank as time passed.
If you don't mind, where did you purchase them?

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS yesterday and one of the staff was telling me that Azure’s are extremely aggressive especially in groups and have been known to “take down tangs”. They had one Azure which was brought back by a customer because it was in their 300 gallon and was harassing their tangs. :oops:

This is the opposite of what I read on here. I ended up ordering 7 so hopefully it all goes well! ;Nailbiting

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS yesterday and one of the staff was telling me that Azure’s are extremely aggressive especially in groups and have been known to “take down tangs”. They had one Azure which was brought back by a customer because it was in their 300 gallon and was harassing their tangs.

Nice to see the drugs trade hasn't been impacted by lockdown in your local area;)

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 4 in my 220 mixed reef. Shortly after my barred goby stayed hidden all the time. I narrowed it down to one of them. I was able to catch the little trouble maker and put him in with a trigger and puffer. The barred goby has been coming out more and more now that he’s gone. The other three are very behaved.

U

User1

View Badges
Most, if not all, damsels in the Chrysiptera genus are considered reef and community safe if that makes sense. Most hobbyists report nothing but positive feedback. Talbots, Azures, Starcki, etc. All positive. @ca1ore has dang near 60 in his 450 gallon tank mostly Azures I believe. If you have a mature tank with plenty of rock work and mature corals you can easy support 5 to 10 easy. Mix them up Azures, Talbots, Rolands, and others all make wonderful display of color, speed, and activity.

The limiting factor is really the tank maturity. They do need their respected place of retreat and also a place to sleep. Sometimes they are not the same. Hope this helps. Great fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I’ll be getting a trio. Would add so much movement and color to my tank. Small but active, get to only 2.5”. Having said this they’ll still be among the last fish if not the last to go into my tank.

My 180:

Full Tank Swimmers-

x3 Yellow Pyramid Butterflies

x1 One Spot Fox Face

Bottom Dwellers-

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby

x1 Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby

x1 Flame Hawkfish

x1 Long Nose Hawkfish

Small But Active-

x1 Twinspot / Red Stripe Hogfish

x3 Azure Damsels

Middle Tank Cruisers-

x2 Ocellaris Clowns (Captive Bred)

x1 Royal Gramma

x1 Halichoeres spp. Wrasse

Hovering Fish-

x4 Pajama Cardinals

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rule of thumb is the bigger the tank, the less problem from aggression especially from smaller fish. Many of the fish you have are not exactly shrinking violets. And the damsels are going in last. Also, it is one of the milder tempered damsels. It should be fine.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS yesterday and one of the staff was telling me that Azure’s are extremely aggressive especially in groups and have been known to “take down tangs”. They had one Azure which was brought back by a customer because it was in their 300 gallon and was harassing their tangs. :oops:

This is the opposite of what I read on here. I ended up ordering 7 so hopefully it all goes well! ;Nailbiting
LOL, LFS anecdotes are my favorite... These are very pretty fish that are only aggressive with each other. I started with 10 in my 500 and the 3 meanest and fattest have survived. They're like chromis... Fight to the death, only the strong survive

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the yellow/blue colored damsels. Such a flash of color. I had a Starcki in my last tank and he was great. This time I’m leaning towards the Azure. I was planning on just one, but it would be cool have a small group. Any advice for how many would work in a Reefer 350 (73g display 48x21x21)? I’m thinking either just the one or trying three. I’ve got six fish already so if I did three they plus a bottom dwelling goby would probably be my last additions.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on just one, but it would be cool have a small group.
Mine do not group together at all. Each has his own rock structure that they patrol all day only swimming into the main water column when feeding. Still very cool watching them swim in and out of their rocks.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine do not group together at all. Each has his own rock structure that they patrol all day only swimming into the main water column when feeding. Still very cool watching them swim in and out of their rocks.

Yea that’s what I’m going for just nice flashes of color. As long as three of them don’t tear each other up in a 75ish gallon tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back