Azure Damsel - Any reason not to?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 262 gallon sps dominated reef.

Current fish are powder blue tang, convict tang, lieutenant tang, purple tang, Tomini tang, yellow coris wrasse, flame Angel, foxface, 2 Royal grammas, spotted mandarin and 2 clowns in my 260.

I was thinking of adding a few Azure Damsels, any reason not to?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive heard nothing but good about them

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of them in my 55 and I love them. One of the little guys has some spunk and tries to intimidate my snowflake eel every so often, who of course just shrugs it off because “eel”.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, a damsel thread with out "they are all devil spawn", never thought I'd see the day :D

But seriously they are great fish to bring life, movement and colour to a reef and the azures are arguably the best choice.
They tend to be very hardy so a normal qt protocol works fine unless the supplier is a bit iffy. I'm jealous you guys can get them captive bred, which is very hard to do over here.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my azure damsels. Least aggressive I have had. They stick near, but not too near each other. Have their little caves or spots and are so colorful and active. I have them in my 210g. I have 6 due to 1 dying in qt (within 12hrs) and 2 I accidentally got with peroxide and burned their gills. Do not do that!!!!

I would get like 11 or so for a 265g. Make sure to qt them and treat them. Unless you can get that many captive bred. I also love my Talbots. However, they love to move sand around and make caves under my rock. Super funny to watch and beautiful too.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Tuesday!

I bought a captive bred Azure Damsel about 3 months back and the fish has been nothing but great. Takes to most foods, gives great color to the tank (also movement), spunky personality, and overall a great addition to a reef tank.

Out of all the damsels, this is the only one I have kept post cycle and been happy to move to my bigger display tank as time passed.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super fish to have, every tank should have at least one. Talbots are great, too, but I recently moved one of each to a 20 gallon tank (from a 6' long tank) and the Talbot got very 'bossy.' I wasn't expecting that.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a nice collection of both wild caught and captive bred, but just seemingly the captive bred felt better in my opinion (sustainability) and the size fit more for me.

As for disease or issues they all seemed happy and healthy wild caught and captive

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they work in my IM40 with Blue Star Leopard wrasse, Helfrichi, Court jester goby, and Captive bred Mandarin goby? looking for some color and movement.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back