Azure damsel in my 45g reef?

sjrimpbqyeghdv

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
united states
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally joined r2r lol.

I’ve got a 45 jbj reef, it’s established, a few years old. Got mushrooms, zoas, bta, etc. (softies&lps)

Current stocking:
-1 ocellaris clown
-1 dwarf angel
-1 mandarin dragonette
-1 randalls goby

-1 skunk shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-cuc


I love damsels, especially azures, but don’t want to end up with a jerk that disrupts the peace. And would it be better keeping in groups or not?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have an azure damsel - he's been a model citizen. He has three blue devil tank mates (also model citizens). Damsels can be hit and miss, but unless we're talking about a yellow belly (definitely jerks) I think you'll be fine with one in your tank.
 
I'd never put a damsel in, unless it would be easy to remove. Let alone a group. Took three months to get the last, mostly peaceful, damsel out. It lived to menace others.
 
I've got a Springeri Damsel in QT right now.
They are supposed to be one of the more peaceful varieties of damsels.
fingers crossed.
 
I've got a Springeri Damsel in QT right now.
They are supposed to be one of the more peaceful varieties of damsels.
fingers crossed.
That's my understanding as well. My LFS has a school of the little suckers and they're all behaving for the most part.
 
I've got a Springeri Damsel in QT right now.
They are supposed to be one of the more peaceful varieties of damsels.
fingers crossed.
That’s one of the “less-important” worry’s I have. definitely a pain to qt one, just to end up removing them
 
I have an azure damsel - he's been a model citizen. He has three blue devil tank mates (also model citizens). Damsels can be hit and miss, but unless we're talking about a yellow belly (definitely jerks) I think you'll be fine with one in your tank.
What do you find to be the best damsel sp? If not azures (or something close) I’d probably just do a royal gramma, but I do love that iconic blue yellow color.. and I’m a swede, so it does make sense
 
Add one - shouldn’t be an issue and if it becomes one you can catch and rehome. Ours is totally peaceful
 
What do you find to be the best damsel sp? If not azures (or something close) I’d probably just do a royal gramma, but I do love that iconic blue yellow color.. and I’m a swede, so it does make sense
I only have personal experience with three: yellow belly, azure and blue devil. I would probably avoid the yellow belly unless you like having your tank torn up 'just because'. A**hat doesn't even begin to adequately describe this species of fish. This fish has no F's to give.

The azure has been very peaceful and gets along fine with his 41 other tank mates. The same for the three blue devils. The four of them kind of act as "sheepdogs" - patrolling and gently herding the schooling fish. I've heard that the springeri damsels are very amicable as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new