Azure damsel in my 45g reef?

sjrimpbqyeghdv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally joined r2r lol.

I’ve got a 45 jbj reef, it’s established, a few years old. Got mushrooms, zoas, bta, etc. (softies&lps)

Current stocking:
-1 ocellaris clown
-1 dwarf angel
-1 mandarin dragonette
-1 randalls goby

-1 skunk shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-cuc

I love damsels, especially azures, but don’t want to end up with a jerk that disrupts the peace. And would it be better keeping in groups or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an azure damsel - he's been a model citizen. He has three blue devil tank mates (also model citizens). Damsels can be hit and miss, but unless we're talking about a yellow belly (definitely jerks) I think you'll be fine with one in your tank.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never put a damsel in, unless it would be easy to remove. Let alone a group. Took three months to get the last, mostly peaceful, damsel out. It lived to menace others.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Springeri Damsel in QT right now.
They are supposed to be one of the more peaceful varieties of damsels.
fingers crossed.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Springeri Damsel in QT right now.
They are supposed to be one of the more peaceful varieties of damsels.
fingers crossed.
That's my understanding as well. My LFS has a school of the little suckers and they're all behaving for the most part.

OP
OP
sjrimpbqyeghdv

sjrimpbqyeghdv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an azure damsel - he's been a model citizen. He has three blue devil tank mates (also model citizens). Damsels can be hit and miss, but unless we're talking about a yellow belly (definitely jerks) I think you'll be fine with one in your tank.
What do you find to be the best damsel sp? If not azures (or something close) I’d probably just do a royal gramma, but I do love that iconic blue yellow color.. and I’m a swede, so it does make sense

MD51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add one - shouldn’t be an issue and if it becomes one you can catch and rehome. Ours is totally peaceful

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you find to be the best damsel sp? If not azures (or something close) I’d probably just do a royal gramma, but I do love that iconic blue yellow color.. and I’m a swede, so it does make sense
I only have personal experience with three: yellow belly, azure and blue devil. I would probably avoid the yellow belly unless you like having your tank torn up 'just because'. A**hat doesn't even begin to adequately describe this species of fish. This fish has no F's to give.

The azure has been very peaceful and gets along fine with his 41 other tank mates. The same for the three blue devils. The four of them kind of act as "sheepdogs" - patrolling and gently herding the schooling fish. I've heard that the springeri damsels are very amicable as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back