Azure damsel looking pale

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an azure damselfish on Monday, and he is currently in QT. However, since I put him in he’s been looking quite pale and acting quite shy. I haven’t seen him eat any pellets whenever I drop them in (so maybe it’s time to drop in some frozen mysis that’s in my freezer lol). Even so, he doesn’t really look famished. I don’t really know what could be wrong with the little guy since this doesn’t really look like any disease I’ve seen (I thought it was HLLE at first but it doesn’t really look like it). Is it something I hadn’t reckoned with or is he still just adjusting? Also has anyone else had their new fish stay pale and act this skittish for this long? (seriously, the firefish in my dt is bolder than, of all things, this little damsel ) All help is, as always, most appreciated in advance!

- Diego

763F720E-E2B7-422C-B422-8728D15B8FA9.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, looks like just pale due to surroundings , lower light is best in QT.
give it some time to acclimate to new home, any probs come back here... :)

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, looks like just pale due to surroundings , lower light is best in QT.
give it some time to acclimate to new home, any probs come back here... :)
qt almost does best with just a tiny desk lamp light. the fish feels more comfortable in a darker place

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthurus1517, how is your azure damsel?
Much better now! His color’s come back and he’s eating pretty heartily. He seems to be quite meek, which tells me he’s probably not going to be aggressive with his new tank mates (I saved him for last on my stock list for a reason lol)

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for azure damsels for months because they say they are less aggressive, but I have not found them, a few days ago a local aquarist asked me what could be happening to one of his domino damsels that was very pale, so I suggested one or two changes of water, their nitrate levels were quite high and salinity very high as well, I thought it was also your case, right now both damsels are doing very well.

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for azure damsels for months because they say they are less aggressive, but I have not found them, a few days ago a local aquarist asked me what could be happening to one of his domino damsels that was very pale, so I suggested one or two changes of water, their nitrate levels were quite high and salinity very high as well, I thought it was also your case, right now both damsels are doing very well.
I was lucky to find my little guy at the store I found him at… my usual lfs isn’t getting azure damsels anytime soon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back