Azure or Sapphire damsels?

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam,

I have a 250g mixed reef and am in the final stages of stocking my tank. I would like to add 8 or so blue damsels as the last addition. What are your experiences with Blue Sapphires or Azure damsels? TYIA!

FFAF080A-0580-46B0-8F61-F8EDD31669AC.jpeg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azure demsels are great. Not very aggressive , eats anything you feed it . It’s hard to go wrong with azure demsels. I would suggest springer demsels and Talbot demsels as well.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these..

Got it because of a tank shutdown that came with a flame angel I wanted. It was amazingly blue and was much more noticeable than I had imagined. Was very docile compared to any other damsel I'd ever owned.

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am definitely only looking at the Chrysiptera family and am looking to add more “blue fish” to my mix. Thanks for the feedback. Any issues with them being territorial? I’ve read that when they pair up they will defend a 1’ x1’ area which is why I was thinking 8 since the tank is 6’ long.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam,

I have a 250g mixed reef and am in the final stages of stocking my tank. I would like to add 8 or so blue damsels as the last addition. What are your experiences with Blue Sapphires or Azure damsels? TYIA!

FFAF080A-0580-46B0-8F61-F8EDD31669AC.jpeg

Both are nice. I've kept both. Most people will recommend damsels in the higher classification of Chrysiptera which the Azure falls into. Talbots, Azure, Rollands, Starcks, and others.

With regards to the Sapphiare (Pomacentrus pavo) I've kept 7 in my 210 gallon mixed display. I purchased them from Biota and I have to say they are striking. I believe they also go by the name of Pavo damselfish. In any case if you do go with these know that once they pair up they can become a bit more territorial guarding their nest. Out of the seven I had two pairs formed up which provided to be a bit of a challenge regardless of fish size. Fish learn to adapt but the problem was when introducing new fish as they didn't know the lay of the land.

Sapphire, Pavo's, are amazing in color. Active. Regularly spawn. Eat both pellet and frozen foods. Below is a small video of mine I had previously. I've since rehomed them to a fellow hobbyist display until I was done adding a few more fish. Oh the male can get a bit large. Not overly large but larger than a Talbot, Azure, Rolland, etc. I would say my one male was almost 4" in size.

Oh - one more thing, sorry. They love to burrow and dig to make their nest.

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are nice. I've kept both. Most people will recommend damsels in the higher classification of Chrysiptera which the Azure falls into. Talbots, Azure, Rollands, Starcks, and others.

With regards to the Sapphiare (Pomacentrus pavo) I've kept 7 in my 210 gallon mixed display. I purchased them from Biota and I have to say they are striking. I believe they also go by the name of Pavo damselfish. In any case if you do go with these know that once they pair up they can become a bit more territorial guarding their nest. Out of the seven I had two pairs formed up which provided to be a bit of a challenge regardless of fish size. Fish learn to adapt but the problem was when introducing new fish as they didn't know the lay of the land.

Sapphire, Pavo's, are amazing in color. Active. Regularly spawn. Eat both pellet and frozen foods. Below is a small video of mine I had previously. I've since rehomed them to a fellow hobbyist display until I was done adding a few more fish. Oh the male can get a bit large. Not overly large but larger than a Talbot, Azure, Rolland, etc. I would say my one male was almost 4" in size.

Awesome video and thank you for the feedback!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starcks demsels are beautiful and can almost pass for a angel . Good luck finding them.

Starcks are beautiful. I've heard that they can be seasonal but I have no data to back that claim up. Just what I have read and it is second hand at best. I do agree that they are sized about right for a small cherub angel.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 65 54.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back