Azurels Ricordea Valley

socalreefer78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Ric/Yuma garden! Thanks for the heads up for acclimating Yumas. I have a ric garden too and have lost a few $150 yuma's in the past and was very reluctant to buy any more. I will have to buy another and give it a try! Rics are looking good man!

anotheraddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! I LOVE rics but have not tried my hand at them yet, this is very inspirational :smile:
is this one in the left corner of the pic a yuma? I MUST have one :still_dreaming:
DSCN2532.jpg

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there is a full pic of it a few pages back.....I have tried many of that color and this one is by far the best of the best I have had.....Those tend to be the most fragile it seems of the whole color morph of Yumas...

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Looking Collection.

The Pink Yuma is very impressive.
Personally, I like the Pink Florida Ricordea.

I just may have to take a Road trip to check out your Collection in Person.

Thanks
For Sharing
Your Collection

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ba d news possibly......Looks like my large hot pink/red yuma is starting to show signs of issues....For some reason yesterday it would not open completely and is spitting out slime.....So I am going to have to try Melafix marine dip see if I can save it....Looks like it might be a bacterial infection of some sort....I will have more on this and what I have observed over the last 3 days.

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I killed mine w/ light !
First Temp acclimate, then I water acclimate over a long period of time 1 hr-2hr, then the most important is Photoacclimation. This is by far the hardest one for me in the past cause you really want to get them out in the open so they can be seen and show off their colors. I have lost many a yuma to not acclimating or pulling them out to soon into the light. I usually photoacclimate for about a month or so, I usually wait till they stretch for more light then I move them out a little bit at a time....So far(knock on wood) since I have stuck to this I have had 100% success.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though I felt like crap all day I went to the LFS and picked up some Melafix Marine fish and coral dip.....Got home and made a dip and dipped it.

He is some observations I have made over the last few days.....This will be some thing for other to keep an eye out for and also report experiance....

About 2 weeks ago for some reason my main lights started to come on about an 1 1/2 hrs early and shut off about an hour early. After a couple days of this I noticed that the area around the mouth base on the polyp face started to turn dark. It had never been dark up until this point. So I kept an eye on it and it seemed to grow in area that was dark. it also at the same time started to not open as full as it had.....

So Saterday I noticed it was kinda spitting up some clear slime that I recognized right from the bat. So yesterday I looked it over and there was no damage on it anywhere and the foot was not pulled up anywhere as well. So the only thing I can figure is the lighting regimine that was stabile for 1 1/2 years changed it was the same everyday that this yuma has been in my possesion. The lighting change must have shocked it some how, so the shining gem in my tank is now not so shining.....I will see how this Melafix Marine works out maybe something those of us yuma and ricordea collectors can use to save these corals.....Worst case I cut it up and frag it.....I will then dip the frags to stop the infection.....Hopefully this dip works....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope all goes well bud. Get well!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME! Any of mine still in there alive and kicking?

Hope you saved the pink.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME! Any of mine still in there alive and kicking?

Hope you saved the pink.

Yea the green/yellow yuma, little blue yuma.....The blue/pink one was fine then fell behind the rocksand I couldn' getto it......I had a couple othe ones fall so I pulled the rock out and it was not attaced to the plug not sure where it went....

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any blue leds to make them pop?? I would love to see this tank blasted with actinics to show of the flourescent colors.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my camera could take a picture what the heck only actinics....It really throws it out of wack.....I am thiking of getting some LEDs for supplimentation and dawn dusk effect...

Well so far so good on saving the hot pink yuma it has stopped sliming and seems like the darkness of the infection is gone. I have dipped it aout 5 times or so, it looks like the Melafix Marine really does a good job at knocking out bac infections.....Not out of the woods yet though. Once it is back to it's former self then I will call victory.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the big pink has melted down......I didn't o my dip yesterday to see how it was doing.....Well I should hae kept dipping it I think. It was looking better but this morning it was all slimed up....dang THESE YUMMMMMMAAAAAs! Ok I am over it, well not really but nothing can do about it...

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waaaah:cry::cry:im with u azurel...my hot pink melted too...it started sliming in the mouth then spitting guts shrinking day by day...was painful to see...i didnt do any dip because theres a tiny baby i dont wanna stress it....im done with pink yumas too ill just wait for the baby to grow...err well for now im done..but i know once i see one ill grab it again..i never learn:xd:

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it melted so I was going to frag it so I cut it off and cut into 4s. But it was really infected pretty bad soI tossed it. But when I cut it it left a bit of tissue and some filiments still stuck to the rock. So I dipped that part and put i back in the tank, well as of today itlooks like it is closing up and maing a new polyp out of the tissue. So maybe all is not lost......Will be interesting to see if it does make a new polyp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back