B.A.Prince 180g Build

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the beginning of my official build page for my 180g-ish mixed reef tank in it's early stages. I actually got permission from the wife to launch this project about 6 months ago, right around Thanksgiving 2019. Spent a couple of months researching here and elsewhere (mostly here and YT). This is my first adventure into a reef tank... in the 90's and early 2000's I had freshwater and saltwater tanks, but all fish-only. I have wanted a reef tank FOREVER! I've been going back-and-forth with Planet Aquariums via my LFS... it's a SLOW process, but I think we're close. In the meantime, I picked up two, used AIO cubes. I have one wet and cycling now that will become my fish-only observation tank, and the other will be wet this week that will become my fish-less coral quarantine/frag tank. Then, I went WAY DOWN the quarantine rabbit hole and picked up another small (10g) that will be the hospital tank, and I think I'll have my first fish in copper this week.

The favor I would like to ask of y'all is... can you look at this equipment list for the DT and critique. Anything that needs to be upsized/downsized? Change anything? All feedback is appreciated

(I'll throw a couple of pictures of what I have going so far in for attention)

• Tank – Planet Aquarium – 66”x24”x25” – Starfire glass – 3/4” glass – eurobraced
  • Stand -- Planet Aquarium -- 66"x24"x40" metal
  • Overflow – Modular Marine 1800gph Overflow
  • Sump – Tideline 48” Sump
  • ATO Container – Tideline ATO 10 Gallon Container
  • Return Pump – Reef Octopus VarioS4 (x2)
  • In-Tank Flow – Ecotech Marine MP40QD (x2)
  • Vortech Battery Backup
  • Lighting –
  • Aquatic Marine T5 61” X18
  • Kessil A360X (x3)
  • Skimmer – ??? (Reef Octopus Regal 200IN 8”?)
  • Heater – (x2) Brand? Size?
  • ATO – Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Apex Controller System
  • Salt – Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
  • Sand – CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive (100lbs?)
  • Rock – ??? (MacroRocks/CaribSea?)(100lbs? 150lbs?)
IMG_20200107_201848.jpg
IMG_20200402_210643.jpg
IMG_20200402_210806.jpg
IMG_20200403_113535.jpg

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank – Planet Aquarium – 66”x24”x25” – Starfire glass – 3/4” glass – eurobraced
I would be surprised if it was 3/4 glass. Usually if eurobraced 1/2” is used, even for larger tanks. But I’m not gonna say you’re wrong.
Stand -- Planet Aquarium -- 66"x24"x40" metal
  • Overflow – Modular Marine 1800gph Overflow. good, if on the back wall you could always go bigger (longer). I like modular marine overflows having owned one and will be owning another.
  • Sump – Tideline 48” Sump fine
  • ATO Container – Tideline ATO 10 Gallon Container go as big as you can easily fit. You’ll go through this in less than a week (estimate) unless you do extra to reduce evap. I went through my 10g ATO weekly on my 110g display .
  • Return Pump – Reef Octopus VarioS4 (x2) I like the dual return plan.
  • In-Tank Flow – Ecotech Marine MP40QD (x2) should be fine. You will have some dead spots though. Doesn’t matter unless you’re going for all acros. I imagine you are planning one of each end (earmuffs?).
  • Vortech Battery Backup good
  • Lighting –
  • Aquatic Marine T5 61” X18 not sure what this is, 18 bulbs?
  • Kessil A360X (x3) good, your lighting plans make it seem like you’re going for some acros?
  • Skimmer – ??? (Reef Octopus Regal 200IN 8”?) no comment, have not owned
  • Heater – (x2) Brand? Size? Depends on the ambient temperature of your room and how much it swings. Just make sure you have it on a controller that can shut it off if it malfunctions.
  • ATO – Tunze Osmolator 3155. Great choice
  • Apex Controller System good
  • Salt – Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt fancy
  • Sand – CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive (100lbs?) dunno the amount.
  • Rock – ??? (MacroRocks/CaribSea?)(100lbs? 150lbs?) depends on the look

good start!

OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank -- I've been going back and forth with Planet Aquariums. Finally got them on the phone a few weeks ago. Their "eurobraced" tanks are double-eurobraced, which doesn't fit the look i'm going for with a floating light. I really wanted a lip to limit splashing and jumping fish. They suggested building it like a frameless tank and install a splash guard (their words). My understanding is it will look like a eurobrace, but with 45 degree corners so it'll look super clean, but little/no structural support. They thought probably I could do 1/2" glass, but I asked them to over-build it to 3/4".

Yes, earmuffs... I can always add more later, if needed.

That light is just 4 bulb, 5 foot fixture. https://aquaticlife.com/products/aq...immable-4-lamp-hybrid-mounting-system-fixture

I would really like to have some acros down the road. It will be a mixed tank.

The tough decision I'm struggling with right now is tank depth (front to back). I have it spec'd out at 24". LOTS of people seem to prefer 30". Can't go longer due to space constraints, but could add depth. This is my first big tank, so I'm trusting the opinion of others, and I'm concerned that I won't be able to reach the back/bottom.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the biggest tank you can realistically fit in the space. “Every inch matters.” If you can fit a 30” great. 36” even better! Since it’s custom just go as large as you can, but make sure you leave 3.5-4” in the back. Don’t have the tank right up against the wall imo. You can always use tools to get to any part of the tank that’s difficult to get to. It’s more of a problem when the tank is taller. Yours is at 25” so most of the tank will be easily accessible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BAPrince

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revised the mock up the tank using PVC (see post #1 here), and the wife approved it for 30" depth (front to back)!! That'll put it in the 200+g range. Specs are back to Planet Aquariums for an updated quote. Will the T-5 lighting and 3-4 A360X's still be OK with the extra 6"? Also, I just happened back upon @GlassMunky build thread, and I was wondering (since it looks like your setup and the one I'm working on will be VERY similar)... anything you change about your setup if you were starting over? Any recommendations you can make regarding my equipment list above? Everyone's thoughts are appreciated!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back