B-Ionic 2-Part question

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. If magnesium is in the high range will that make the Alk and Cal more sensitive when dosing? For instance, the 20 ml (.3 dkh) that I dose daily is assuming that the Magnesium is at 1350 vs. a range of 1500. Should I pay attention to that or would that not make a difference? Thanks

The effect of a dose of calcium or alkalinity is independent of the magnesium level. :)

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect of a dose of calcium or alkalinity is independent of the magnesium level. :)

Hey Randy. Got a Magnesium question for you. I checked my levels and i’m at 1240. Should I bring it to 1300 or 1350 and Maintain it at that Level? If so, the calculator says I need 900 mls. How should this be added? All at once? Once a week or Broken up daily? Thanks (Corals look like they need some)
a7af8f1f8865efef21a58b3bf318e0d6.jpg

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

Hey Randy. Just wanted to know one more thing. The Mag solution that i’m using is
ESV B-ionic. It says on the solution will not disrupt the ionic balance of closed marine tank. Is that pretty much telling me that there wont be any affect with the impurities?

Also, does it matter what order I dose this in? For example, I just dosed 300ml of Mag all at once right now. Then in about half an hour Im about to dose 20ml of Alk then wait another 30 min then dose 20 ml of Calcium lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. Just wanted to know one more thing. The Mag solution that i’m using is
ESV B-ionic. It says on the solution will not disrupt the ionic balance of closed marine tank. Is that pretty much telling me that there wont be any affect with the impurities?

Also, does it matter what order I dose this in? For example, I just dosed 300ml of Mag all at once right now. Then in about half an hour Im about to dose 20ml of Alk then wait another 30 min then dose 20 ml of Calcium lol

No, that's not what it means. It means that the negatively charged ions associated with the positively charged magnesium (chloride, sulfate, bromide, fluoride, etc.) are present in the same ratio they are present in seawater (chloride, sulfate, bromide, etc.). That way it doesn't impact the ionic balance.

It doesn't intend to mean that there's no ammonia or concerning trace metals.

That said, ESV Magnesium should be pretty clean.

As long as you spread them out, the order of additions doesn't matter.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's not what it means. It means that the negatively charged ions associated with the positively charged magnesium (chloride, sulfate, bromide, fluoride, etc.) are present in the same ratio they are present in seawater (chloride, sulfate, bromide, etc.). That way it doesn't impact the ionic balance.

It doesn't intend to mean that there's no ammonia or concerning trace metals.

That said, ESV Magnesium should be pretty clean.

As long as you spread them out, the order of additions doesn't matter.

Thanks again Randy

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Good luck! :)

Would you suggest to hold off on water changes while monitoring Alk/Cal for my dosing regimen? Or is this something I need to factor in?

A new batch of salt is 8dkh and my tank is on average 6.1dkh. While i am trying to gradually bring it up to 7dkh, should I skip a dose of 2part for the day?

Thanks Randy. Hopefully this makes sense?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back