B-Ionic 2-Part question

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Looking to get into the two part dosing regimen as calcium and alkalinity are not staying in the range I want in my Nuvo 16g tank. I already use kalkwasser, but due to my sps load, i'm assuming it's not keeping up as it's only in my ATO.

I've been researching the B-Ionic two part, and one question I have is about the dosage per day. They say "Our recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day." So i'd assume I'd start off with 2-3ml of each component per day and test/verify my alk and calcium levels. Further down the instructions they mention this "Never add more than 1 ml. per gallon of each component in a 24 hour period, and never allow pH to rise above 8.45." To me, these two instructions are conflicting each other.

Does anyone have any input on starting to dose B-Ionic 2-part in my small nano? This would be without a doser, and i'd add the solution during feeding.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting doses are fine, but just guesses. Take them lightly and quickly adjust your dosing based on your measurements. I don't see any actual conflict in the directions, but some folks may need more than 1 mL per gallon.

If you measure the alk and determine how much you need to get to the alk you want, dose that amount for both parts. Do the same the next day and use that dose for a few days, monitoring alk and adjusting as needed.

This calculator shows how much to use for that alk boost:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I'd personally start at just 1 mL per day. Too little is better than too much, but measurement will tell you. :)

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting doses are fine, but just guesses. Take them lightly and quickly adjust your dosing based on your measurements. I don't see any actual conflict in the directions, but some folks may need more than 1 mL per gallon.

If you measure the alk and determine how much you need to get to the alk you want, dose that amount for both parts. Do the same the next day and use that dose for a few days, monitoring alk and adjusting as needed.

This calculator shows how much to use for that alk boost:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I'd personally start at just 1 mL per day. Too little is better than too much, but measurement will tell you. :)

Do I break up the 1 ml per day? or just dose it all at once then test the next day?

Also, should I mirror my desired level of Cal/Alk to the parameters of a freshly mixed batch of salt water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I break up the 1 ml per day? or just dose it all at once then test the next day?

Also, should I mirror my desired level of Cal/Alk to the parameters of a freshly mixed batch of salt water?

Depends on the salt mix you use and the goals, but some mixes have more alkalinity than most people maintain. I recommend 7-11 dKH for a typical mixed reef.

If the needed daily dose is small enough (say, 0.4 dKH or less), once a day manual dosing is OK. If the dose needed is higher, spread it out or using a dosing pump, especially for the alkalinity part (the calcium part is less critical to spread out).

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the salt mix you use and the goals, but some mixes have more alkalinity than most people maintain. I recommend 7-11 dKH for a typical mixed reef.

If the needed daily dose is small enough (say, 0.4 dKH or less), once a day manual dosing is OK. If the dose needed is higher, spread it out or using a dosing pump, especially for the alkalinity part (the calcium part is less critical to spread out).

A freshly maid batch of salt at 35 is 8dkh. I use Aquavitro. My dkh is currently 6.1 it was 6.4 yesterday.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try dosing 0.3 dKH per day for a few days (both parts equally) and see how the alk levels out. I'd dose it once a day manually for now, either late pm or early am.

This calculator shows how much to use:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try dosing 0.3 dKH per day for a few days (both parts equally) and see how the alk levels out. I'd dose it once a day manually for now, either late pm or early am.

Okay thanks Randy. So here is what i have. It says i will need 20.1 ml to increase 0.3 dkh. So just confirming, I will dose the same thing for Cal buffer part 2? So per day I will manually dose 20.1 mls of both cal and alk in the morning or night? Also, should i manually dose the whole amount at once? Thanks
6caea53bc3b0c5ddb6e4037383b2d318.jpg
8050456823209a92f7a02c17fce6b6af.jpg

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks Randy. So here is what i have. It says i will need 20.1 ml to increase 0.3 dkh. So just confirming, I will dose the same thing for Cal buffer part 2? So per day I will manually dose 20.1 mls of both cal and alk in the morning or night? Also, should i manually dose the whole amount at once? Thanks
6caea53bc3b0c5ddb6e4037383b2d318.jpg
8050456823209a92f7a02c17fce6b6af.jpg

That’s WAY TOO MUCH. Look at your calculator. You have the water volume at 150 gallons.

I have a 13.5 Evo with a heavy sps and a couple maxima clams and to maintain my Alk at 8 and calcium at 420 I dose 2ml of calcium in the afternoon by hand and 4 ml of Alk, 2 in the early morning and 2 in the evening.

Be careful because you can do a lot of damage with Alk. Like randy said start low and test and adjust.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s WAY TOO MUCH. Look at your calculator. You have the water volume at 150 gallons.

I have a 13.5 Evo with a heavy sps and a couple maxima clams and to maintain my Alk at 8 and calcium at 420 I dose 2ml of calcium in the afternoon by hand and 4 ml of Alk, 2 in the early morning and 2 in the evening.

Be careful because you can do a lot of damage with Alk. Like randy said start low and test and adjust.

Oh my tank is 150 gallons. I have a 40 gallon sump. Including the live rock and sand. So I just ruled out the 40 gallons low ball.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Randy so just to clarify once more. After calculating the dose required to increase the Alk to 0.3 dkh per day (I came up with 20.1 ml according to the calculator you suggested). I will dose the full 20.1 ml either in the early AM or late PM (around 10pm?) and test daily (Possibly test dkh a couple hours after or the next day?) Thanks for your help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. sorry last clarification. We are increasing by 0.3 not 0.03 dkh right?

Increasing 0.03 is 2 ml instead of 20 ml of Alk to increase.

Yes, 0.3 dKH. :)

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Looking to get into the two part dosing regimen as calcium and alkalinity are not staying in the range I want in my Nuvo 16g tank. I already use kalkwasser, but due to my sps load, i'm assuming it's not keeping up as it's only in my ATO.

I've been researching the B-Ionic two part, and one question I have is about the dosage per day. They say "Our recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day." So i'd assume I'd start off with 2-3ml of each component per day and test/verify my alk and calcium levels. Further down the instructions they mention this "Never add more than 1 ml. per gallon of each component in a 24 hour period, and never allow pH to rise above 8.45." To me, these two instructions are conflicting each other.

Does anyone have any input on starting to dose B-Ionic 2-part in my small nano? This would be without a doser, and i'd add the solution during feeding.

Thanks

Oh I thought it was a 16 gallon Nuvo.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

Hey Randy, i’m back with another last question lol. So how far apart do i dose the Cal and Alk. I don’t dose them at the same time right? For example, i dose alk in the PM and Cal in the AM?

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as one mixes in before you add the other, you are good to go. 10 minutes, 30 minutes?

Hey Randy. If magnesium is in the high range will that make the Alk and Cal more sensitive when dosing? For instance, the 20 ml (.3 dkh) that I dose daily is assuming that the Magnesium is at 1350 vs. a range of 1500. Should I pay attention to that or would that not make a difference? Thanks

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back