B-Ionic alk shelf life?

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I picked up some b-ionic 2 part about 4 months ago so I had it on hand once I set up my dosing pumps and upon doing so today I noticed the precipitation from sitting. Well I set it in some hot water for an hour and shook it and there was still some precipitation so my question now is, do I just toss it and buy new or is it still good? Do I need to continue to put it in hot water until every bit of the precipitation dissolves or can I just what’s in the bottle and ignore the precip on the bottom of the bottle?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk part of two parts is often near its solubility limit, and if it gets cold it can precipitate.

Warm it and it should redissolve. You can also dilute it more if needed, but typically that's not required.

Do not just use the clear part as it is lower in potency.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The alk part of two parts is often near its solubility limit, and if it gets cold it can precipitate.

Warm it and it should redissolve. You can also dilute it more if needed, but typically that's not required.

Do not just use the clear part as it is lower in potency.
Thank you sir!!

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You're welcome.

Let us know if it dissolves!
Question for you sir
Iv ventured down the kalkwasser rabbit hole and I’m dosing 24/7 to compensate for the half gallon of evaporation yet I’m seeing no difference in my PH,calcium, nor alk what so ever(per my apex/trident)
Iv also recent recalibrated everything prior to starting to dose the kalk. This is on a 130g system btw

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you sir
Iv ventured down the kalkwasser rabbit hole and I’m dosing 24/7 to compensate for the half gallon of evaporation yet I’m seeing no difference in my PH,calcium, nor alk what so ever(per my apex/trident)
Iv also recent recalibrated everything prior to starting to dose the kalk. This is on a 130g system btw
1/2 gallon of evap is not a lot on a 130g system. If you have a SPS dominated tank it will probably get used up pretty fast. Not that a 130g is huge but this is where people start to get into KW slurry systems to turbo charge their KW dosing because their evap rate is slow. If you go that route you have to be very careful not to spike.
On another note as far as the ESV, yes it takes a while. Electric tea kettle is your friend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you sir

As noted, that’s a small amount. It adds just under 0.5 dKH per day, assuming it is saturated. That may not even offset demand, so seeing a rise may not be likely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back