Baby bamboo shark feeding

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I just hatched our first baby bamboo shark. I’m told it needs to be “hand fed.” The first few weeks. I tried putting some shrimp through a turkey baster right in front of it but it didn’t know what to do. Any guidance on when/how/what to feed this infant bamboo shark would be super helpful. Thanks!

9EE808B6-E98F-459C-BAD5-5B23BBA32BE8.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I just hatched our first baby bamboo shark. I’m told it needs to be “hand fed.” The first few weeks. I tried putting some shrimp through a turkey baster right in front of it but it didn’t know what to do. Any guidance on when/how/what to feed this infant bamboo shark would be super helpful. Thanks!

045380B1-58B4-4AB0-8796-B1046F49D89C.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any guidance? He still hasn’t eaten and it’s been around 18 hours since hatch. Help!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried other foods? Maybe some small scallop chunks or some small squid chunks?
Also, most sharks are most active at dusk. I would be inclined to have extremely reduced light in the tank and add some food and walk away. See if it eats without you there. The idea of hand feeding them is great, but keep in mind, to this tiny shark, you are a threat. It likely feels that it's life is more in danged due to your presence than due to lack of food. On that note, I'd add some PVC in there so that it has the ability to hide. I've not coaxed baby sharks to eat, but I have coaxed many other things to eat-- and the animal's sense of security is almost always the issue.

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

9EE808B6-E98F-459C-BAD5-5B23BBA32BE8.jpeg
I've started all my sharks with ghost shrimp. I use tongs to feed.

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started all my sharks with ghost shrimp. I use tongs to feed.
Everything I've read states you have 10 days to get them to start eating. I panicked with my first shark and bought almost every type of food in the store lol They all eat live ghost shrimp, my 3 yr old sharks still go crazy for them. The hardest part is getting them off the ghost shrimp, all of mine eat Omega One Alaskan Shrimp.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seconded on the tongs. You can't just squirt it in front of them you have to like let it come to your tong and grab it from you. Also highly likely you'll have to resort to live ghost shrimp on a tong so be prepped.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should also add they're kind of like eels, when it comes to feeding assume they're blind and smelling the food and trying to find it or sense it's movement. Or maybe my benthic sharks have just been stupid haha

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back