Baby bangaiis

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am looking for some words of wisdom in my breeding adventures. I have a pair of bangaiis that are have delivered their second clutch. The first clutch, I think, was a dud. I had collected the pop and isolated him in a breeder net. I scooped him out when the babies had all been delivered. I could not get them to eat and sadly they didnt make it. The second clutch, I've done the exact same and have been able to get them to eat live baby brine. They have currently been alive now for approximately 10 days and have clearly almost doubled in size. I've been continuing feeding them the live baby brine approximately 4 times a day. My questions are as follows:

1) how long until I try a different form of food?
2) what kind of food will be this next form of food substance?
3) how long until i should separate the weaker individuals in a separate vessel to try to save them from being outcompete for food?

Any and all experienced opinions are appreciated. I've done a lot of research, but have not found many guides for after the first week of survival. Thank you

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the successful spawn!

@Reef Nutrition - what foods would you suggest for bangaii fry through juvenile?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • You can start to feed them our dry food, TDO. I recommend TDO B2 as it is similar in size to newly hatched Artemia (brine shrimp). Many breeders use TDO to wean their juvenile and even larval fish off of live feed organisms. You can also feed TDO Small to the adults.
3) how long until i should separate the weaker individuals in a separate vessel to try to save them from being out compete for food?
  • Try to feed small amounts as often as you can so that all fish get some. Closely observe while they eat to see if all of them are getting food. If you have runts, you can always put them in an in-tank fish box with some artificial habitat to beef them up.
Let us know how things go and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I raise an average of 200 a month and feed them exclusively on TDO B. If I have a few that won't eat they will get newly hatched brine shrimp the last feeding of the day for around 10 days.

By day 10 I have them eating TDO and LRS fertility frenzy. Newly Hatched Brine shrimp can/will cause SFS (sudden Fright syndrome) if feed exclusively.

3) how long until i should separate the weaker individuals in a separate vessel to try to save them from being outcompete for food?
Now, If there is a big size difference I found the biggest ones eat the smallest ones.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back