OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried netting over the tops but the algae grown is another problem, then they get stuck in an opening and getting them out before covered in algae smashes them. The algae grows faster than they do.

They seem to constantly produce them. I could suck 20 out everyday. They are all at different stages of development inside. In one day I can get mostly morphing ameba eggs and one that’s got a disk. I too watch them moving up and down the tentacles, but they’re different sizes. I’ve taken so many of them it’s down to finding one or two per day, and they’re different stages of development every day.

Stainless sink strainer is a great idea. Keep suggestions coming I appreciate it! But because they are so mobile I don’t think the rock is a good plan to try, yet. If the flow is too low they melt or get covered in algae. Flow is tough to get dialed in.

I added a 40 breeder for a common sump, and now have (2) 20 long under the 125 (old sump now just dark with system water) tied in waiting for viable babies to make that they’re grow out. Another 20 is under the 75 that has water running in it, dark also, and the future 75 is still dry but plumbed. Still more to do before it’s ready.

So far there’s 4 gigs that I’ve seen have them inside.

C3BA275A-C56E-4CF2-95B0-E4D138649440.jpeg C0A6E261-C1A8-4492-B7C3-595CBD6C26D2.jpeg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that light is not the only good source Of nutrition and when it’s detached from mother they lack the intake of food and start melting? I recall you had said the CUC or pods would eat them before they could develop to certain stages?

Best of luck on this again.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something like a sink strainer over the top of the glasses?

And did you consider putting a small piece of rock on the bottom of the glasses to give them something more natural with crevices to potentially feel more comfortable in?

I blew past the “in the bottom of the glass” part... genius! Log in my eye syndrome lol. Thanks!!! I really do appreciate all input.
I cut a small part of a rock from my sump from the dark and put them on it, so it’s fully cured. I scraped little divots with a razor blade to make holes for them with the tip. I lost the little blue one overnight, it disappeared yesterday, so I added another purple one yesterday. I’m only going to try 2 at a time so I can tend to them individually.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that light is not the only good source Of nutrition and when it’s detached from mother they lack the intake of food and start melting? I recall you had said the CUC or pods would eat them before they could develop to certain stages?

Best of luck on this again.

Yes, you might be right. I’ve got another plan to capture them naturally, but tank doesn’t have water yet. Plumbed, but no water. Looks like I might get time in the coming weeks.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s today.
The bigger one is center top of the rock and attached. The little one from yesterday is in a crater I made. I can’t get a pic of the little one but it’s still moving as of today.

BF0110D2-2850-40FE-AE68-B0CD808EF1BB.jpeg 8F5E89B2-5597-4A69-861D-6E00F7DE398E.jpeg 876C34C9-360A-4A18-8545-AC411C9467C8.jpeg 97726CA3-7097-43E4-A92B-5DCC134C5D06.jpeg AE93CABD-66B1-4D3E-B08A-FA543E4A039A.jpeg F11545D3-FD23-4407-B5A6-254EEB0F7C8F.jpeg 0165FE29-B742-40ED-8072-5265C2642D14.jpeg 34D771E8-D51F-4552-9D94-5461335FFB6B.jpeg ECB1C94A-AA78-405C-9FDC-7F5184018ABF.jpeg 31303A02-7AF9-4346-AB41-3DE85004E841.jpeg FCE2917A-858D-438B-AE0C-DC308BB82842.jpeg 28C229B9-2480-422F-9EA9-BFBD5026141D.jpeg 4DE5708B-0562-483A-A24C-B4099DE84365.jpeg 292A8F3F-6C84-4347-B180-8E52E05292C1.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the one pic above the bigger one looks like it’s getting color. It is, but the other pics don’t show. The bigger one, I can’t tell, it’s either getting brown or it’s getting covered in green algae before it dies. I’m colorblind (lol colorblind electrician lol I know) I can’t tell if it’s green or brown, it’s very slight color that it got today, but it’s still actively moving as of an hour ago, looks brown to me. It’s getting darker than the other one. Time will tell, it could be a slime ball of death by tomorrow! But the system is banging on all cylinders right now, all big gigs very happy right now so water is good.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I lost them both. I made a change to the overflows. Now all the overflows dump into the 20 long under the tank and there’s bulkhead screens on them. I’ll check it everyday maybe I’ll get a natural release in the next month or sooner. But, I respectfully disagree that sucking them out of the tips won’t work. I’ve watched them double in size at various stages but one common thing I see, after a few days they turn to mush, something an adult will also do with low flow, I’ve seen it. My gut thinks that flow is critical and being so small, getting good flow is tough to do and still have good tank turn over without blowing them around. They love high light and very high flow, and comparing them to others that choose lower flow speaks for itself. Even though this last couple attached, the attach is weak and they easily get blown off the rock. The wine glass doesn’t get high enough flow. If I could only think of a way to gently tumble them in a container with good turnover and still give high light, and contain them until they can grab on stronger. Using screens and mesh to contain them get covered in algae fast and cut down on light, and flow. Anyone have ideas as to how they could get tumbled like brine shrimp eggs, and still get high light and high water turnover? It’s got to get fresh water from the sump and high light, and contain these little things until they get big enough to attach WELL, and endure higher flow and not get swept away in the current. As for catching them, I’ve watched them float in the main tank and the fish go right for them and eat them. A night release I think is the only way to get a natural release, now all tank volume goes to the old sump under with screens, so I should be able to catch some that make it to the overflows. But even catching them in the tank under, they still need high flow I think, so the issue of giving them high flow at the same time as turnover and light will remain an issue. What I’m seeing, too high flow blows them off the surface they rest, too low flow they degrade and get covered in cyno or algae in a day or too. Their footing is weak, but it works as a foot, they are able to walk at this little size. Any thoughts?

DC1EC866-121C-4FCE-9ED1-006E788C3583.jpeg 6AE486BD-4B46-44D4-9526-A1FB5CBE7F53.jpeg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I lost them both. I made a change to the overflows. Now all the overflows dump into the 20 long under the tank and there’s bulkhead screens on them. I’ll check it everyday maybe I’ll get a natural release in the next month or sooner. But, I respectfully disagree that sucking them out of the tips won’t work. I’ve watched them double in size at various stages but one common thing I see, after a few days they turn to mush, something an adult will also do with low flow, I’ve seen it. My gut thinks that flow is critical and being so small, getting good flow is tough to do and still have good tank turn over without blowing them around. They love high light and very high flow, and comparing them to others that choose lower flow speaks for itself. Even though this last couple attached, the attach is weak and they easily get blown off the rock. The wine glass doesn’t get high enough flow. If I could only think of a way to gently tumble them in a container with good turnover and still give high light, and contain them until they can grab on stronger. Using screens and mesh to contain them get covered in algae fast and cut down on light, and flow. Anyone have ideas as to how they could get tumbled like brine shrimp eggs, and still get high light and high water turnover? It’s got to get fresh water from the sump and high light, and contain these little things until they get big enough to attach WELL, and endure higher flow and not get swept away in the current. As for catching them, I’ve watched them float in the main tank and the fish go right for them and eat them. A night release I think is the only way to get a natural release, now all tank volume goes to the old sump under with screens, so I should be able to catch some that make it to the overflows. But even catching them in the tank under, they still need high flow I think, so the issue of giving them high flow at the same time as turnover and light will remain an issue. What I’m seeing, too high flow blows them off the surface they rest, too low flow they degrade and get covered in cyno or algae in a day or too. Their footing is weak, but it works as a foot, they are able to walk at this little size. Any thoughts?

DC1EC866-121C-4FCE-9ED1-006E788C3583.jpeg 6AE486BD-4B46-44D4-9526-A1FB5CBE7F53.jpeg
My guess is the anemones in the wine glass are not receiving enough gas and heat exchange in there and they can't survive the stagnant conditions. I wonder if getting a Vossen trap or a jelly fish tank to put them in will give them enough water flow for gas and heat exchange.

How long did you have these anemones before you started seeing larvae production?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.7%
Back