Gig lighting spectrum?

Babayaga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we all know gigantea anemones need strong lighting, I’m curious to see what color spectrum people are using? I currently have a small neon gig and it’s doing really well, I’m running my leds towards the 20k spectrum. Would it benefit more if I adjusted the lighting to more of a whiter spectrum? I have SPS and LPS coral as well but my main focus is the health and happiness of my gig.
IMG_1271.jpeg

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ramp my lighting from blue to 12k back down to blue. Mid day my blue and purple gigs look the best under 12k. My green gigs glow under the blues.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum. If you don't like the look of full spectrum, just run it for a few hours per day when you're not home. Any full spectrum you can give it, it will enjoy!

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OG gig-heads swear by metal halides, but I forget which bulb. I assume it's the standard reef halide bulb. They certainly glow under the halides!

But in your nano, you might want to add a cool white spotlight to the gig's area just to make sure it's getting a full spectrum. They're shallow-water in the wild so it's safe to assume their absorption spectrum isn't very blue-heavy.

OP
OP
Babayaga

Babayaga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OG gig-heads swear by metal halides, but I forget which bulb. I assume it's the standard reef halide bulb. They certainly glow under the halides!

But in your nano, you might want to add a cool white spotlight to the gig's area just to make sure it's getting a full spectrum. They're shallow-water in the wild so it's safe to assume their absorption spectrum isn't very blue-heavy.
Shortly after my post I increased my white light spectrum by a few percent (want to raise it gradually) and noticed better polyp extension within an hour or so of increasing it. And yes like you said they are shallow water animals so it makes sense that they prefer more white light. Thanks!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I ran halides on my gig tank, I used 6,500k Iwasaki bulbs with actinic VHO supplement (wow, I'm really dating myself). My gigs loved white light. Nowadays I have my gigs in two tanks: two gigs under both Radion G5 Blues running the AB+ setting so the tank is really blue (my green gig glows and the purple one pops) and the other two gigs under Kessil A360xs running a more white light (my blue gig actually looks a bit drab under it and the tan one looks.. um... tan). The two magnifica in the tank love the bright light, too.

I'm starting to suspect that the blue and purple gigs may come from lower depths compared to the tan and green ones. It may also explain why the tan ones are the most common, followed by the green ones (though obviously it could just be distribution and collection sites). In other words, those two may prefer a whiter light, while the other colors prefer a bluer light. Granted, this is all just anecdotal and based on my observations of two tanks.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light and strong light ..I have radion xr30's G4 @ 100 % intensity 100% on all channels..nice white12 k look...on another budget tank I've been playing with I run noopsyche k7 III's -with the white channel @ 100pct 1 of the blue channels @75, and the rest at 50 ..nice strong white appearance with a hint of blue ,,Gigs are doing well in both lighting scenarios...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back