Baby gig

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that it's a ball anemone. I certainly was hoping it would be the real deal.

Have you considered you might be aborting the babies before they're mature enough to survive out on their own? I've been doing some research on coral spawning for a project I'm working on with a university, and I know eggs/sperm bundles will develop inside the animal for months leading up to the release date. Maybe removing them before they're ready for release is the downfall? The problem of course is being around and ready for the time they actually release.

As for the water, when I treat new gigs, I use new sea water whenever I'm changing water. I just make sure it's the same temperature as the old water and seems to work well.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found one of my little ball anemones in my main DT. Red foot and when actinics are in it has some fluorescence. I know the nail is already in that coffin, but may as well post it.

FF2A03BC-2EE9-450E-B64E-FF1359A8EB4D.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nailed it. Bulb anemone. Thanks for the pic. I put my bulb anemone in the sump where it’s living just fine in darkness, I am still shocked at the color it had at first. Gigem, I think you might be onto something. They may need more development before they can survive on their own, but I’ll find out lol. I have a setup in mind that I’d like to tie into the main tank I think might be the ticket. I’ve got a 75 that I want to put a plastic divider to make one third for mom and 2/3 bare bottom to settle, having the plastic go to within a few inches of the surface, water feed the side with mom and overflow on the 2/3 side with low flow, and screen off the overflow with pantyhose or extreme fine sponge. Lots more details, but maybe in due time it gets built. Until then I play with a 10 gallon, which is having issues as a grow out. I wasn’t able to find time for water changes all week. The space this setup is in is not reef friendly, it’s an industrial space not really a great spot for reef inhabitants with spray booths all around me discharging overspray fumes, the heat, diesel exhaust, contamination on stuff, I forgot to turn on the ac yesterday and the tanks got into upper 80’s.... I shouldn’t be in this hobby anymore but I can’t give it up! So yesterday the tank had a nice layer on the bottom coating everything. I’ve been making little tweaks each time I try. I started with 25-30 of them, and yesterday the coating on the bottom covered everything except about 3-4 of them. I’ll spare the daily pics as the details my camera can’t capture that small if it’s in the middle of the 10 gallon. There seems to be no shortage of these things. I can suck out a dozen or a few as time permits, the next day I can suck out just as many again. Here’s a few pics, but without explanation they’re just pics but here are a couple of where I am today. When I get one that’s independent then I’ll post a write up of the progression. The last pic I’m not certain is a gig. It was hanging by a snot string to the tip of mom, did not have tents when I first found it, but today it’s gone. Got covered by algae mat yesterday which sucks because I had 3 of them with little tents. Everything else I’m trying has been sucked through tips for 100% certainty of origin, so I’m certain 2 of 3 displaying tents were gigs that grew tents in the week I had them. When I have some concrete stuff I’ll post.

ADECD5C5-81B5-4EB3-A60F-028B35637C61.png 1351C0D8-3C08-494E-AB82-2B9FA8962C7E.png 2B1578E6-06CF-4F17-9C1B-BF1911A6462A.jpeg 6BB6767E-D21E-4006-AE5F-05DD242477B2.png

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that these wild temperature swings are one of the factors necessary for the gigs to be developing gametes. I also think the anemones will likely release simultaneously based on an environmental cue. They're not the same as Euphyllias, but closer in anatomy, so this video could be helpful:

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean my haphazard reefing might actually HELP?!??? Thanks for the video. That was awesome. Temp is the one constant I can depend on not being constant. It never goes below 79 but has reached 88 a few times this year when the ac is forgotten. Everything looks happy at the temp swings so I don’t stress over it.
Hmmm.... today I scraped the bottom (most of it except the edges and sides in hope to keep a biological base present) and filled the 10 gallon with NSW I made yesterday, and started over. I put 4 new clusters in today. I’m not there anymore, and just watched the videos, and I wish I took pics before I left. 3 of the blobs I sucked out today looked like clusters of 3 but all attached and with the dark white milk ball on one of the clusters like above pic. That video makes me wonder if they are released through the mouth and not tents. I noticed when I shine a bright flashlight on them inside mom they quickly retract into the disk from the light, when they’re close to the disk, and not wedged all the way to the tips. Just an interesting observation I saw. It’s extremely difficult to suck the target tent with 1/4” airline with tents flowing in the breeze. A dedicated tank I think would be best, not enough hours in a day. I have a build in mind for this.

Any other nuggets of info or suggestions is greatly appreciated. HELP!!! Lol Keep it coming. Thanks!

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean my haphazard reefing might actually HELP?!??? Thanks for the video. That was awesome. Temp is the one constant I can depend on not being constant. It never goes below 79 but has reached 88 a few times this year when the ac is forgotten. Everything looks happy at the temp swings so I don’t stress over it.
Hmmm.... today I scraped the bottom (most of it except the edges and sides in hope to keep a biological base present) and filled the 10 gallon with NSW I made yesterday, and started over. I put 4 new clusters in today. I’m not there anymore, and just watched the videos, and I wish I took pics before I left. 3 of the blobs I sucked out today looked like clusters of 3 but all attached and with the dark white milk ball on one of the clusters like above pic. That video makes me wonder if they are released through the mouth and not tents. I noticed when I shine a bright flashlight on them inside mom they quickly retract into the disk from the light, when they’re close to the disk, and not wedged all the way to the tips. Just an interesting observation I saw. It’s extremely difficult to suck the target tent with 1/4” airline with tents flowing in the breeze. A dedicated tank I think would be best, not enough hours in a day. I have a build in mind for this.

Any other nuggets of info or suggestions is greatly appreciated. HELP!!! Lol Keep it coming. Thanks!
Yeah that was one of the main observations I took from the Euphyllia video. You can see the eggs in the tips of the tentacles, but they are only released through the mouth when ready. Which makes sense, corals and sea anemones only have one opening that serves as the mouth, anus, and sexual organs all at once. WOW! What an animal! :p

Chances are the anemones will release at night, since that's when most corals spawn. It's likely triggered by a specific spike in temperature, change in water chemistry, and possibly lunar phase. If you can schedule the exact chain of events and be present in time to collect the fertilized eggs before they are gobbled up or sucked into pumps, you could have a chance at having them settle out in a nursery tank.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe feeding the nems often could help induce a spawn. I'm not certain, but I would bet that they eat frequently in the wild, and that will eliminate a factor that could hold them back from a potential spawn. I would guess it's more tidal/lunar phases but feeding is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

Taking them from the tentacles may never be successful. Whether they are reproducing asexually or sexually they are likely coming out too soon (premature) it's also possible they are not even fertile. I have read somewhere that S. Gigantea is capable of asexual reproduction, but not a preferred method, and who knows what environment, conditions it takes for one to do so.. They would come out the mouth when ready. It's worth the shot, though.

The comment about wild swings may be on to something. I will attach a link for those who are interested, or attempting to breed Gigs. The places they grow in abundance are far from "pristine" imo, and many fluctuations take place.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe feeding the nems often could help induce a spawn. I'm not certain, but I would bet that they eat frequently in the wild, and that will eliminate a factor that could hold them back from a potential spawn. I would guess it's more tidal/lunar phases but feeding is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

Taking them from the tentacles may never be successful. Whether they are reproducing asexually or sexually they are likely coming out too soon (premature) it's also possible they are not even fertile. I have read somewhere that S. Gigantea is capable of asexual reproduction, but not a preferred method, and who knows what environment, conditions it takes for one to do so.. They would come out the mouth when ready. It's worth the shot, though.

The comment about wild swings may be on to something. I will attach a link for those who are interested, or attempting to breed Gigs. The places they grow in abundance are far from "pristine" imo, and many fluctuations take place.

Awesome photos there! When I've seen gigs in the wild in Thailand, the water was pretty shallow and incredibly turbid. Couldn't see the gigs until they were within a couple feet of my face. These guys can live in some very harsh conditions!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a distraction from bio warfare?!? Lol.
So I finally got half my next build done. Only half. More to come in months from now.
Here’s the “monitor” tank. It’s a 20 gallon. I have more plumbed and more planned, but time is limited... I’ve now got a lot of control over what flow goes through the tank. Light is a known. I think it’s critical to have the same water they come from, my last failure realization. Trying to figure out the needed flow, a tough job! I’ve started playing with trying to find/steal babies the last 2 weeks. Keeping them more than a few days is tough. I now see why no one can have them multiply in a normal reef tank. It has to be intentional. When small they are very fragile. So what do you think???? :)

EBE1DCCE-528F-4483-9E21-ADF9C5933225.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top one was taken through the mouth of a blue gig. The bottom one was taken through the tips of a purple gig.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another part of the challenge. They walk around the wine glass everyday. I’ll go check the next day ant the “walk” right around, walk up to the rim and disappear the next day. I’m learning every failure, and I feel in getting closer and closer to getting to the point of no return, or “success” lol. I keep making tweaks and I think I’ve got it figured out... one of these two I hoping stay! They are very mobile when this little.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, manual captures only so far. The flow the adults need is way too high for a small one to take hold in typical reef tanks, that combined with my eyes watching my fish eat them as they release. Chromis is a ******. I have a 75 I’ve got almost ready for water, I’m going to transfer 2 of the 7 to, that I’m certain have babies. I need to “capture” them in a low flow area, and I’ve got it almost built, but will be a few months before I’m ready for a big gig transfer and try to naturally capture them. A steep learning curve, pretty time consuming but I enjoy it! All one water system, critical IMO.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, now this is exciting. The newer photos really show babies that look a lot like gigantea. Wishing you the best of luck.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something like a sink strainer over the top of the glasses?

And did you consider putting a small piece of rock on the bottom of the glasses to give them something more natural with crevices to potentially feel more comfortable in?

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.
When my H. malu was spawning, the mother released all the babies overnight. One day the mother is full of fertilized eggs and babies, the next day they were ALL gone. They were moving on their own in the mother's body. I reach this conclusion when I see two of them move right pass each other in the same tentacle.
Good luck, It would be great if we can reproducing them in captivity.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back