Baby Gigantea Anemone

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, we have a few established gigantea anemones (three to be exact) 2 are in our large display and the one is in a smaller 30 gal in our office. This afternoon i was doing some light maintenance on the 30 gal, during at which point i opened up the overflow box and notice 2 small bright blue anomones. Honestly they look like aiptasia, but pretty. I removed them from the overflow and put them on the sandbed in a glass with a rock in it. They attached pretty quickly. They are also very sticky to the touch like a gig. I have read previously that gigantea reproduce sexually and not through division. This got thinking that possibly the gig had babies. Please have a look at the picture and let me know your thoughts.

59719608266__C4A0AB0E-CF5E-4FB6-A9FA-19A0210CEF9C.JPG

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a baby gigantea, so anything is possible -- but you're right -- they look a lot like aiptasia. I would expect a baby gig to look like an adult one. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think they are baby carpets, BUT i am going to let the grow for a little bit to be sure. I am still unable to find any pics (wild or captive) of baby gigs to compare tho.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some small gigs -- maybe 3" -- and they look exactly like adults. I can only guess that they don't change much, but like I said, anything is possible!

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, we have a few established gigantea anemones (three to be exact) 2 are in our large display and the one is in a smaller 30 gal in our office. This afternoon i was doing some light maintenance on the 30 gal, during at which point i opened up the overflow box and notice 2 small bright blue anomones. Honestly they look like aiptasia, but pretty. I removed them from the overflow and put them on the sandbed in a glass with a rock in it. They attached pretty quickly. They are also very sticky to the touch like a gig. I have read previously that gigantea reproduce sexually and not through division. This got thinking that possibly the gig had babies. Please have a look at the picture and let me know your thoughts.

59719608266__C4A0AB0E-CF5E-4FB6-A9FA-19A0210CEF9C.JPG

New aiptasia color morph? Call it a "Blue Lightning" anemone and sell it for $300

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno… I feel like the thick white foot of them doesn't look anything like aptaisia, plus they seem to have a few too many tentacles. I would definitely try and grow them and see what happens. Worst case scenario they turn out to be aptaisia and you can just chuck them.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looks like aiptasia, but I’ve never seen a blue aiptasia before. What colors are yours gigs? I’d imagine if they’re gigs, you’d eventually start seeing the vertical dots down the column at some point. No one really knows what the gig initial planula/polyp stages look like, so it’s anyone’s guess right now. Some members have seen gigs brooding and they appear to be tiny versions of the adults so I would guess they look like that through all life stages.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve gotten gigs to spawn before I wish I had the pictures but they usually are white or bright green and void of the zoos it’s really hard because they have a plankton stage and then they have to settle as they are not developed with zoos so the trick with the baby gigs is to feed them a lot untill they start to color up I’ve never had success with it had to take everything down before I could get going fully :/

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@Taylor t

Have you ever tried feeding those babies plankton before they melted these last 5 years?
I did not get a chance to I was starting to use the healthy Nem tentacle in the food method but ended up having to break down my tanks :( hopefully I’ll have my exact set up running soon only have a handful of gigs tho I have to wait until I can get more :/

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Taylor t

Have you ever tried feeding those babies plankton before they melted these last 5 years?

No. I don’t feed them anything. I have a 75 plumbed to the system that’s still empty, just needs water and plug in the lights and open a valve, time is short though. The purple that was loaded with stuff in the tents but lost all of them a few months ago, or discharged them. Tents became all clear like typical. About a month ago, last time I cleaned glass enough to see, it had a few of them again, but I haven’t had time to play with them. My tank is in idle mode, can’t see it it right now.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. This is very exciting. We have one user who does have gig babies and now your going to attempt it. I really hope it works and we can learn to propagate these carpets for the long term.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back