baby Maxima can't decide where it wants to live!

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 2 to 3" maxima a few weeks ago. Its very responsive and seems to be doing well. I have it under a kessel so lighting should be good and my parameters are good.

My issue/question is no matter where I put it, it moves! I had it on the sand bed for the first 2 weeks and it never moved then it started moving and it moved about 3 " toward the left. AND turned. I had read if it moves its not happy and trying to find a better location. So I moved it further to help it along and it still kept moving.
So I put it on the rock but it was tricky getting it off the bottom as it may have been attaching to the glass but the sand kept it from a firm attachment.
Finally moved to onto some rock and I think it opened even wider than before but yet again, still moving and turning. Its been knocked over as well by a nassarious snail. Now I see some thing that looks like white spider web looking thing attaching to the rock directly underneath the clam but its totally twisted in a "non desirable position" but I'm afraid to keep moving it!

Should I try a clam hammock? should I let it go till it stops moving on its own?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clam falling repeatedly will kill it fast.

Put it back in the sand bed on a flat surface, such as a rock or shell if able, and leave the clam be. If you can not provide a concave or flat surface for the clam to attach to it's still better in the sand bed than moving or falling from the rock work.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the byssal threads are attaching to the rock where it's at, you'll have to cut those away with a razor blade very carefully if you try to move it again. If you rip those away, you'll kill it for sure. And don't cut the foot; only the byssal threads.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh geeze! I wish he would stop moving! He's not picking good spots! Something tipped him over and the strings were no longer attached but it was just a few and he seems fine and opened up even more so he must be happy but still seems tob e attaching and then moving or turning. .
AND to make matters worse, I'm going away for a few days and I'm having stress over leaving the tank to a non fish person! But, they said they watched a SW tank before and I pre mixed frozen food in vile's in fridge pre measured to my liking so hopefully they will all be ok but have a feeling some corals not attach and the clam will all be in disarray!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a concave object. Make it out of a 2 liter bottle or other bottle to size. Cut the peace you want with scissors. It's clear,plastic and safe.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for a few days and when I came back I found my clam on its side because it still trying to move I am slightly reluctant to put it in an object only because I don't know where it's going to be happiest I feel like I would like to put it somewhere within my rock work but if it's not happy there I know it's going to move since it's been so active. I have it back on the sand now next to the rock and it looks like it's on the move once again..now I also noticeThat the mantle which is royal blue with a beautiful pattern around the edges looks slightly slightly I mean brownish but that's more toward the inside the edge is still a beautiful blue and it opens and closes very easily and it does not appear to be sick. Someone had mentioned to me that if the mantle has any brownish in it has something to do with your lighting at the moment it's in a 29 gallon tank with a kessel.
I am thinking maybe it's trying to climb up to reach more light? I only run them at 80% for about three hours and then they ramp up and ran down before and after I just don't know what to do for this little guy!

Any suggestions?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back