B13EE8F0-8FB4-4879-855E-E5CC20342E88.gif

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also too large for a 24 gallon.

If liveaquaria says minimum tank size larger than 30 gallons, the fish will not work.
Not saying I agree or disagree with you here on what the appropriate tank size would be for these specific fish - I'll leave that to others with more hands on experience with fish - but honestly, having looked around at a number of different online fish stores, LiveAquaria is actually one of the better sites as far as recommended tank size goes. A lot of places list ridiculously small minimum sizes (small enough that even as a total newbie with zero saltwater experience or knowledge a few months ago I questioned them) or don't list a recommended size at all.

Between those sites and the care sheets for specific fish that recommend unnecessarily large tanks (I've seen sites recommending minimums that are legitimately almost twice the size the community at large here on R2R recommends/finds necessary - I wish I could remember what fish I was looking at so I could post the links), it can be pretty difficult for a beginner to figure out what sort of tank size they actually need for some species. Obviously the bigger the better - I'm not disagreeing there - but (for an obviously exaggerated example) you don't need a 300 gallon tank to keep a lawnmower blenny or a pair of clowns happy. So, if someone is going to try to keep a fish based on recommended minimum tank sizes for that specific fish, they could do a lot worse than using LiveAquaria's recommendation.

That said, I'd generally recommend taking LiveAquaria's minimum size and going up one standard tank size (i.e. if the recommended is 75 gallons, go 90, if it's 125, go 150, etc.) to be safe - but that's just to be safe.

Just my two cents on the matter.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said it was good advice im just saying its his money. He can do what he pleases.
This is a gross worldview. We should be promoting responsible, ethical reef keeping. Just because someone buys an animal doesn’t mean they have the right to mistreat it. If a person buys a dog is it their right to keep it chained up outside without shelter (inappropriate accommodations that can cause health problems are inappropriate accommodations that can cause health problems)? Mentioning that someone put a tang in a 13g on FB and then saying ‘do what you want’ is 100% condoning and recommending that the OP can do the same. The animals we keep are not disposable inanimate objects, we own them, but we have an ethical obligation to provide proper care and husbandry.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a gross worldview. We should be promoting responsible, ethical reef keeping. Just because someone buys an animal doesn’t mean they have the right to mistreat it. If a person buys a dog is it their right to keep it chained up outside without shelter (inappropriate accommodations that can cause health problems are inappropriate accommodations that can cause health problems)? Mentioning that someone put a tang in a 13g on FB and then saying ‘do what you want’ is 100% condoning and recommending that the OP can do the same. The animals we keep are not disposable inanimate objects, we own them, but we have an ethical obligation to provide proper care and husbandry.
And not to take it to the next logical level, but there are a lot of people who shouldn't be allowed to breed. Ever. And some of these people are the same ones who place tangs in 13.5 gallon aquariums... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, I don’t think anyone is opposed to keeping a 1” tang in a smaller tank. The problem is that a majority of the people who do this never upgrade or rehome them, and if they do rehome them they wait until way past the point that the fish is already experiencing health issues. They get attached, and often rationalize keeping it in the tank because ‘it seems happy’ (not realizing that the fish is already stunted and has a bunch of health issues). A 1” tang in a 24g tank really only has 3-6 months before it would need to be moved to a larger tank.

As mentioned previously, there just aren’t enough large tanks for all these fish to go to. And another thing that gets glossed over is the stress that rehoming causes them. Catching, transporting, and acclimating a fish is a huge stress event for the fish, which can make them susceptible to diseases that their immune system would’ve otherwise protected them from. There was just a thread yesterday where a guy was having his LFS babysit their fish while they are cycling a new tank, and one of them died from the stress.
Maybe people have more experience of this than me but I’ve not heard of anyone, locally, doing this practice. Indeed, my LFS does ask about tank sizes before selling any fish OR corals

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe people have more experience of this than me but I’ve not heard of anyone, locally, doing this practice. Indeed, my LFS does ask about tank sizes before selling any fish OR corals
I wish all LFSes did that (and stuck to reasonable/generally agreed upon minimum tank sizes). Unfortunately, in my experience, most don’t.

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)
I started Jan 21with a 32g biocube. Added a baby blue hippo. In may of 21 i purchased a Redsea max s400. I just traded my tang to LFS. She is going in a 260g tank he is building for a customer. She was over 4 inches 3 weeks ago when i traded her in. So she outgrew both tanks in 18 months. It was a tough decision. They become pets and she was my favorite fish. I also have a biota YT that went in biocube then S400. He is still only about 3 inches. Maybe smaller because he is captive bred. Still seems very happy. But I’m sure eventually he will have to be removed. My LFS gave me a really small blue tang as trade. She is very happy swimming with the bigger fishes. Spunky with loads of personality.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking... my LFS has some SUPER small tangs and I was thinking since they only grow 2inch a year I could keep one for a year or two and sell it back to the LFS. I know they need giant tanks and swim lots. But the tank is the size of a 40 cube. And I would be acting as a long term grow out tank.(title says 24 but it is a really big 24 and is larger than a bio cube 32.)

So what's your question?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it is can a Cherub Angel live in a 24 gallon aquarium

I would suggest not buying anything that can't live in your tank when its full grown. Yes, I understand that the LFS will buy it back. What will you do if the LFS goes belly up by the time you are ready to give it back? Or, what if it goes under new management and when you're ready to give it back, the new owner says "no"?

TheVinylReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You saying 3 inches is to big?
Im going to say I was just a part of this boat myself, if no one shames me. #TangPolice

I bought a tiny 3/4" captive bred Blue Tang last October on a birthday spree. It took me moments to realize I mad a mistake. It ate everything! the pods, faught and bullied for any food. Then it hid for the entire day. It took me two months to remove it - I had to line up a buyer and they came hours late! My tank was completely pulled apart. I just got it out last month.

It was a nightmare!! and I took a few pretty serious call-outs before I removed it. Absolutely a mistake and a little bruise to my reputation in the hobby..

These beautiful fish require a lot of space. They are extremely active swimmers. They eat a ridiculous amount. They get aggressive. Even the Cherub Angel. A Midas Blenny is my next fish and I have to create a home for it. They get to 5" but do not swim all day bullying others. they sit in crevices.

If you're looking for the star of your tank - and it looks like you are listening to the advice, keep looking or build a species-specific tank. Nipped fins, stress, Hole In Head, Linear Line and premature death are all caused by a poor choice on the hobbyist to stress out the fish - and I felt stressed just looking at my tank with a 3" Blue Tang.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither the cherub angel or any tang is a good choice for a 24-gallon. Forget the LFS aspect of things - the tank is simply too small and unless you already have a 80+ gallon tank lined up and ordered this isn't advisable. Plan for 4 small fish. Clownfish are fine because even when they grow they'll spend 23/7 in an anemone or whatever else they've decided to home. A small goby, blenny (not midas), dottyback and wrasse (not melanarus) are good secondary choices.

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to say I was just a part of this boat myself, if no one shames me. #TangPolice

I bought a tiny 3/4" captive bred Blue Tang last October on a birthday spree. It took me moments to realize I mad a mistake. It ate everything! the pods, faught and bullied for any food. Then it hid for the entire day. It took me two months to remove it - I had to line up a buyer and they came hours late! My tank was completely pulled apart. I just got it out last month.

It was a nightmare!! and I took a few pretty serious call-outs before I removed it. Absolutely a mistake and a little bruise to my reputation in the hobby..

These beautiful fish require a lot of space. They are extremely active swimmers. They eat a ridiculous amount. They get aggressive. Even the Cherub Angel. A Midas Blenny is my next fish and I have to create a home for it. They get to 5" but do not swim all day bullying others. they sit in crevices.

If you're looking for the star of your tank - and it looks like you are listening to the advice, keep looking or build a species-specific tank. Nipped fins, stress, Hole In Head, Linear Line and premature death are all caused by a poor choice on the hobbyist to stress out the fish - and I felt stressed just looking at my tank with a 3" Blue Tang.
I am saying a full sized Cherub Angel, only 3 inches. I gave up on the Tang idea need bigger tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This site says 55 gallon min.

This site days 75 gallon min.

This site says 20 BUT better in a 30 gallon AND in the wild a 55 gallon space is the MINIMUM territory they would use.

So, ask yourself, would it be truly happy in a 24 gallon?
I would say at minimum it should be housed in a 60 gallon.
Can you upgrade your tank?

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out a flaming prawn goby. Those are fine even in a 10 gallon tank and are absolutely stunning.

There are also some really awesome basslets like the swissguard that are really cool and work in 20 gallon tanks.

Trying to "make it work" for a fish that needs more space is a recipe for disaster.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back