Baby yellow tang in 10 gallon temporary tank?

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chief Tang says no way it’s cruel.
834108B5-4EED-4636-830E-936F47CD8199.jpeg
I was waiting for something like this lol

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know any friends or if the fish store can hold it for you? I mean 10g is like a QT for it and the most it should be in there is for like 76 days?
I don't really have friends here, not a fan of the people around here lol and the fish store will keep it in a 10 gallon that's almost always overstocked or at it's limits. I figure it would be better it live in a 10 gallon with far better water, more room, and way less livestock. Realistically speaking the 65G should be ready for the tang in closer to 3-4 months, I just wanna makes sure it goes in last.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'm considering it is because this fish is 3-4 months old and still the size of a gold dollar, I really feel like it's just a small fish. I mean, if it turns out I'm wrong or it hits a serious growth spurt I can always take it back to the store and be out $20. But if I'm right I got one of the fish I upgraded my tank for in the first place, and at a killer price. That, to me, seems like a risk worth taking .
Classic post of a person who will get 100 people say no and they are just waiting for one person to say yes so they feel validated and buy it against most peoples advice. Same stuff different day

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic post of a person who will get 100 people say no and they are just waiting for one person to say yes so they feel validated and buy it against most peoples advice. Same stuff different day
Had you actually read the rest you would have seen the part where I said I'm not gonna get it yet.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Matt27 the folks are telling you correctly. Tangs need room to swim. Take for instance I have a 150-gallon tank. But my tank is only 48 inches long that's still not enough room for a yellow tang like i have. This is why I am building a 210 that's 72 inches long. Tangs need to be able to swim the length of the tank. They tend to get anxious and start to freak out some time and need a tank where there is lots of room lengthwise. I wanted to get more tangs but I won't put another in my tank until my 210 is ready. I understand we get excited when we see pretty fish. I was the same way two tanks ago. What you don't want is to get that baby tang he freaks out develop ich and kill everything you currently have. happened to me in my first tank. nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Get a bigger tank and order from live aquaria divers den. Get healthy fish. fish that small can't really be judged on how healthy it is unless your an expert. Take your time man take your time.

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t care. Ignored
Then don't comment? You're gonna say I don't listen then pull that out of your butt? Hypocrite. You can walk yourself right off my thread if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then don't comment? You're gonna say I don't listen then pull that out of your ***? Hypocrite. You can walk yourself right off my thread if you don't have anything constructive to say.
Just saying everything everyone has said is true. Not much to be constructive about, its pretty simple. 10g is not enough to house a YT that long. Most of my lfs may keep a baby YT in something like a 20L for a week, but thats just it its only in for a WEEK at most. Otherwise it gets moved to an even larger tank. Just because your LFS may have it in there for a longer period of time does't make it anymore or anyless ok if you put it in a 10g. I would suggest doing as you said and not purchasing it until you have a suitable tank. I understand your point, but its just that.... its not the right thing to do. i have 2 very very small ones in my 75g for a short period of time as im going to be setting up something 3-4 times the size very soon. I also have open space and some good current going. Still not advised.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the fish at the store, there is no way they are going to leave a yellow tang in a 10 gallon the LFS should move it to a bigger tank no matter how bad. Also, try to get it on hold.

Also, these people are trying to give advice but you are dodging it in every way possible. You should be deciding for yourself when you know that a Yellow tang cannot live half a year in a 10 gallon.

Finally, saying captive-bred does not need the same space as a wild is like saying a wild shark only needs 1k+ Gallons while a Captive only needs 50 gallons? Does not make sense to me.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally no matter what size the tang is it’s cruel to be in anything less then a 6 foot tank. QT is different then as hotrocks stated a 48” 55 should be used for QT. So flaming this person then saying you have two in a 75 is just as cruel. Just my 2cents.

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally no matter what size the tang is it’s cruel to be in anything less then a 6 foot tank. QT is different then as hotrocks stated a 48” 55 should be used for QT. So flaming this person then saying you have two in a 75 is just as cruel. Just my 2cents.
my 75 is going to be setup with these two small tangs in it for the amount of time i would have them in a QT........ not months..... Sorry i guess i should have been more clear about how temporary it is. its litterly set up in my basement as im going to be moving. its on a cinder block stand with everything mounted litterly on w peice of plywood....

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how temporary it is lol i had to move my 40b in order to move. so i got a 75 as i want to setup a 75 once im done moving along with my 40b and my 280g

image.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how temporary it is lol i had to move my 40b in order to move. so i got a 75 as i want to setup a 75 once im done moving along with my 40b and my 280g

image.jpg
Understandable

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable
Beside the fact, like i stated do as i say not as i do lol. Back to it, please don't do it, i did actually see a YT that was about 4" at petco near my house that was litterly skin and bones, very pale and had some scuffs on his nose from being in a 10g, yet they had a pair of clowns in their 30g....... also they had a sailfin in a 20l with 3 other YT....

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the fish at the store, there is no way they are going to leave a yellow tang in a 10 gallon the LFS should move it to a bigger tank no matter how bad. Also, try to get it on hold.

Also, these people are trying to give advice but you are dodging it in every way possible. You should be deciding for yourself when you know that a Yellow tang cannot live half a year in a 10 gallon.

Finally, saying captive-bred does not need the same space as a wild is like saying a wild shark only needs 1k+ Gallons while a Captive only needs 50 gallons? Does not make sense to me.
I'm not dodging anything I'm giving all the facts. I literally already took the advice everybody gave me. I'm telling everybody whose arguing that the fish will be miserable that I guarantee it will be happier in my tank than the fish stores tank that very well may kill it due to its conditions that they do not plan on changing. Saltwater aquarium keeping is not by any means a popular activity where I live, which means that fish could sit there miserable until it dies. A captive bred fish does not know of, remember, or long for the ocean. Even a wild caught fish will forget all about it in a couple months, if not way sooner. A captive bred fish does not know its in a small area, depending on what it was born in that very well may be normal which means it'll adapt and be more comfortable with what it's got.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the biggest tank you can and then buy fish that will be happy in that size. There will be more yellow tangs .... tangs like to graze on rock, algae etc. So wait and figure out on getting s bigger tank. If 65 is it consider a kole tang. They do not get huge. Although 75 would be better giving them swimming room.

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna get flamed but:

I have some extent of sympathy here towards OP... on another forum I got flamed for wanting a kole tang for my then 55 gallon. Now if OP's tank was around that size I'd dare say go for it as long as you plan to rehome it eventually or get a bigger tank.

A yellow tang in a 10 gallon though (albeit a baby)? I don't know... Now just as there's an extent and difference from stealing a piece of gum from your friend versus full blown robbing a bank, there's a difference between putting a smaller species juvenile tang in a 40-75 gallon versus putting a yellow tang (again, albeit small) in a 10 gallon. But that's just my stance on it...

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna get flamed but:

I have some extent of sympathy here towards OP... on another forum I got flamed for wanting a kole tang for my then 55 gallon. Now if OP's tank was around that size I'd dare say go for it as long as you plan to rehome it eventually or get a bigger tank.

A yellow tang in a 10 gallon though (albeit a baby)? I don't know... Now just as there's an extent and difference from stealing a piece of gum from your friend versus full blown robbing a bank, there's a difference between putting a smaller species juvenile tang in a 40-75 gallon versus putting a yellow tang (again, albeit small) in a 10 gallon. But that's just my stan

The reason I say I wan't to get it now, like I said before, is because that fish is gonna be put in an overcrowded 10 gallon with sub par water conditions until most likely it dies. The fish store has told me before they don't order those types of fish because they sit and sit and sit. where as with me it will be in very well taken care of 10 gallon for 3 or 4 months then into a more than comfortable tank. In a year or so I'll be moving and selling my tank and I can at least guarantee it'll be going to a good tank.

Last edited:

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna get flamed but:

A yellow tang in a 10 gallon though (albeit a baby)? I don't know... Now just as there's an extent and difference from stealing a piece of gum from your friend versus full blown robbing a bank, there's a difference between putting a smaller species juvenile tang in a 40-75 gallon versus putting a yellow tang (again, albeit small) in a 10 gallon. But that's just my stance on it...
like i said i understand where hes coming from, that fish will maybe have more attention with him rather than at LFS (depending on LFS) and might have a better chance. 10g for a couple months is just way too small IMO. That fish may have a chance at a bigger home if left at LFS, and if not and it dies well atleast you can say it wasn't under your watch. Just get what you need for the fish you want to keep. EDIT: If you know its not the best and are even asking the question its probably not the right thing to do. Trust me... lol been there done that.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back