OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
into the path of flow. Start with a capful or teaspoon
I guess none of the locations by me have live rotifiers. I am going to purchase trigger pods or live mysis any preferences for which live bottle I should use
Mysis may be way too big. The company with rotifiers does ship direct
any brands for bbs enrichment? I’ve heard good things about Selcon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess none of the locations by me have live rotifiers. I am going to purchase trigger pods or live mysis any preferences for which live bottle I should use

any brands for bbs enrichment? I’ve heard good things about Selcon
Selcon really good or Vitachem marine

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this product (and the aquarium coop brand brine eggs) and I produced many many brine shrimp with it:

Highly recommend!

And no I am not affiliated haha

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do I simply add the liquid to the jar of bbs for them to feed!!??
From bottle or bag, I pour amount needed thru a fine meshed net and dip into the tank to release the BBS.
Consider a simple Brine shrimp kit but first after a week or two, try Frozen BBS to see if they take it. They should but if not :

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From bottle or bag, I pour amount needed thru a fine meshed net and dip into the tank to release the BBS.
Consider a simple Brine shrimp kit but first after a week or two, try Frozen BBS to see if they take it. They should but if not :

I have a worry that 2 of the babies got eaten I’ve been gone for 3 hours and only see 3/5. Would this nursery be helpful to float in the top of the tank with something they can hang on? Or leave them as wanders in the tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 41

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not see how the nursery could hurt temporarily. Whether it is water flow, or getting near the filter intake ( which should be guarded), the less things to disrupt them or suck them away in the first few days, the better IMO.

That said, I do wonder if they build up better strength having to swim and navigate even the smallest of currents. Just a thought to consider.

Also +1 on the hatchery above. I bought every type of hatchery out there just to see what worked the best. Just depends what you prefer to deal with. I use three different versions regularly, but I am also feeding 30 horses.

Selcon is what I use to enrich, that is what was recommended to me. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a worry that 2 of the babies got eaten I’ve been gone for 3 hours and only see 3/5. Would this nursery be helpful to float in the top of the tank with something they can hang on? Or leave them as wanders in the tank
As long as there is subtle glow should be fine. Are there powerhesds or overflows in the tank?

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not see how the nursery could hurt temporarily. Whether it is water flow, or getting near the filter intake ( which should be guarded), the less things to disrupt them or suck them away in the first few days, the better IMO.

That said, I do wonder if they build up better strength having to swim and navigate even the smallest of currents. Just a thought to consider.

Also +1 on the hatchery above. I bought every type of hatchery out there just to see what worked the best. Just depends what you prefer to deal with. I use three different versions regularly, but I am also feeding 30 horses.

Selcon is what I use to enrich, that is what was recommended to me. Good luck!
I bought the hatchery for emergency situations, looks like 4/5 are alive I found one hiding. It has been 60 hours since there birth in the morning.

Any tips u can give this is my first seahorse tank. I got selcon to enrich hatching two different batches of bbs and one tank mate a Ruby dragonet.
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as there is subtle glow should be fine. Are there powerhesds or overflows in the tank?
Just the Fluval flex filter outputs, light intakes for overflow on top left . However I’ve seen a baby latch in the inflow and then swim back to the gorgo!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just the Fluval flex filter outputs, light intakes for overflow on top left . However I’ve seen a baby latch in the inflow and then swim back to the gorgo!
Check overflow area for missing ones

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did that the first day and found 3 in the sponge was able to save all 3 un harmed. But I’ve checked the overflow and sponge for the missing and no sign. No dead body either, stressing me out hope he’s hiding somewhere I can’t see him!

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure whatever water is being taken in for filtration, cover up the intake. They make super small protective coverings to allow filtration but it is designed to avoid little babies being sucked up!

I will say, I have a couple of seahorses that seem to like to dive into the output water flow and go for a ride! They do it more than once and it looks very intentional. I have also seen inexperienced ones go into that same flow and they go flying, so I think they learn what they can get away with.

As for the dragonet, I have one in my DT tank, but seahorses in there though.

That said, I could potentially see a dragonet in there with the seahorses if it started off small and realized these are cohabitants. I just do not know though.
My dwarfs love to swim and eat off the bottom, so I could imagine they would interact with the dragonet, whether by choice or not. Maybe introduce one and watch how it behaves. They eat the same thing, super small baby food, so maybe the dragonet looks at a baby seahorse and thinks it is way too big to even consider eating.
It certainly would compete for food, so just making sure everyone is fed well! Fun times for sure!! They are so fun to watch!

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I woke up with 2 more missing found one latched onto the biomedia was able to save both in the back filter. I’m assuming the 5th guy was sucked into the sponge and I can’t find him. I put all 4 back onto a branch TBEY can hold. Was considering putting them in the hatchery pictured above although I did not want to stress them out more

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure whatever water is being taken in for filtration, cover up the intake. They make super small protective coverings to allow filtration but it is designed to avoid little babies being sucked up!

I will say, I have a couple of seahorses that seem to like to dive into the output water flow and go for a ride! They do it more than once and it looks very intentional. I have also seen inexperienced ones go into that same flow and they go flying, so I think they learn what they can get away with.

As for the dragonet, I have one in my DT tank, but seahorses in there though.

That said, I could potentially see a dragonet in there with the seahorses if it started off small and realized these are cohabitants. I just do not know though.
My dwarfs love to swim and eat off the bottom, so I could imagine they would interact with the dragonet, whether by choice or not. Maybe introduce one and watch how it behaves. They eat the same thing, super small baby food, so maybe the dragonet looks at a baby seahorse and thinks it is way too big to even consider eating.
It certainly would compete for food, so just making sure everyone is fed well! Fun times for sure!! They are so fun to watch!
The dragonet has mainly been keeping to himself he rest beneath the live rock and just stays there all day. As for the seahorse one of the adults loves to go into the flow and get pushed around idk why it stresses me out but looks like he does it on his own. I always see my dwarf pecking off the floor but they seem to get along. I have been pumping in live bbs to ensure everyone eats. For 2 10min time periods a day I turn off the pumps to let the babies catch some grub!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The dragonet has mainly been keeping to himself he rest beneath the live rock and just stays there all day. As for the seahorse one of the adults loves to go into the flow and get pushed around idk why it stresses me out but looks like he does it on his own. I always see my dwarf pecking off the floor but they seem to get along. I have been pumping in live bbs to ensure everyone eats. For 2 10min time periods a day I turn off the pumps to let the babies catch some grub!
They should hold. Key is to assure they get food.

Back