Babylon snail climbing tank

Joseph_Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed that whenever food is served and my babylonia snail (a.k.a Nassarius Distortus) smell it, there is always 1 or 2 that start climbing the tank glass untill reaching the surface, faling down the sand, then starting over 2-3 times.
Is it a normal behavior ? I am just trying to be curious I know it is not a big concern. Is light and noise attracting them ? Or are they lacking oxygen (but I don't think they can breath gaseous oxygen). I don't have an oxygen test to check.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed that whenever food is served and my babylonia snail (a.k.a Nassarius Distortus) smell it, there is always 1 or 2 that start climbing the tank glass untill reaching the surface, faling down the sand, then starting over 2-3 times.
Is it a normal behavior ? I am just trying to be curious I know it is not a big concern. Is light and noise attracting them ? Or are they lacking oxygen (but I don't think they can breath gaseous oxygen). I don't have an oxygen test to check.

Thanks.
Can we see a pic of the snail? Nassarius distortus snails aren't babylon snails despite several sites I've seen making the mistake of mislabeling Babylon snails as N. distortus.

Babylonia/Babylon snails are from the genus Babylonia, just like how Nassarius snails are from the genus Nassarius.

Anyway, if your tank has plenty of flow/surface agitation (i.e. the surface water breaking), then the snails shouldn't be short on oxygen. My very uneducated guess on the matter is that they're trying to climb up to find the food (but I could very well be wrong).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back