Babylon snail climbing tank

Joseph_Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Messages
85
Reaction score
37
Location
France
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed that whenever food is served and my babylonia snail (a.k.a Nassarius Distortus) smell it, there is always 1 or 2 that start climbing the tank glass untill reaching the surface, faling down the sand, then starting over 2-3 times.
Is it a normal behavior ? I am just trying to be curious I know it is not a big concern. Is light and noise attracting them ? Or are they lacking oxygen (but I don't think they can breath gaseous oxygen). I don't have an oxygen test to check.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I noticed that whenever food is served and my babylonia snail (a.k.a Nassarius Distortus) smell it, there is always 1 or 2 that start climbing the tank glass untill reaching the surface, faling down the sand, then starting over 2-3 times.
Is it a normal behavior ? I am just trying to be curious I know it is not a big concern. Is light and noise attracting them ? Or are they lacking oxygen (but I don't think they can breath gaseous oxygen). I don't have an oxygen test to check.

Thanks.
Can we see a pic of the snail? Nassarius distortus snails aren't babylon snails despite several sites I've seen making the mistake of mislabeling Babylon snails as N. distortus.

Babylonia/Babylon snails are from the genus Babylonia, just like how Nassarius snails are from the genus Nassarius.

Anyway, if your tank has plenty of flow/surface agitation (i.e. the surface water breaking), then the snails shouldn't be short on oxygen. My very uneducated guess on the matter is that they're trying to climb up to find the food (but I could very well be wrong).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new