Back from vacation and everything's a mess :(

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird things I came back to:

1. Nuvo 10g AIO was clogged, so ATO emptied putting water level to the screen top (salinity dropped 1.026 -> 1.024... benefits of using a water bottle ATO is not overflowing or too huge salinity dip).

2. RFA "shed" skin of its foot and had a walk, found on the side glass, obviously passed between the hammer/octospawn/torch--they are not happy at all and hiding today; Pulled out the shed mucousy skin and found it was covered in TDO pellet mush, like 20+ pellets-worth of mush--apparently the new Eheim autofeeder/feeding ring wasn't working very well. I tested it beforehand, but obviously not enough.

3. Gorgonian seems to have shed skin as well. All polyps were retracted.

4. PO4 > 3, up from the 0.5ish level I was at before leaving. Haven't even checked NO3 or other parameters.

What to do? Well, my coworker took out the Seachem Matrix and live rock rubble from the back chambers yesterday in case it was causing the clog. Didn't smell great sitting in still tank water overnight. Cleaned out chambers, wiped down pump, and found that the culprit for the clog was the filter floss--despite coworker rinsing it out every 2 days, seems like the inside between the course and fine filter pads was gummed up with TDO pellet mush. Water was barely going through it. Changed 3 gallons of water, replaced Matrix and Rubble, added new Carbon/Purigen/Phosguard, and added a few drops of Prime in case ammonium decided to creep up.

Good news:
1. Tank didn't seem to crash, got to it in time, although will keep holding breath--I know a lot of the negative effects of these swings can manifest way down the line... fingers crossed.
2. Clam seems unaffected so far by the swings, fingers crossed.
3. Tailspot blenny and firefish still alive, just looking hungry.
4. Moved the RFA back to the sand bed and it seems to have re-attached and opened up again, fingers crossed.
5. Some polyps coming out of gorgonian again, fingers crossed.
6. 2 out of 3 crabs found alive (green porcelain hiding or no longer with us).

Now to figure out how to failsafe the tank for future business trips/vacations... Thinking that the fish might have to learn to fast over the weekend if I can't dial in the autofeeder. Switch from coworker rinsing filter floss pads to changing new ones every 1-2 days.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent all my money on coral and tank stuff so I can't afford to go on vacation which is bad but I can keep an eye on my tank 24. 7 so no big problems arise which is good. Family will get over their anger soon hopefully.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird things I came back to:

1. Nuvo 10g AIO was clogged, so ATO emptied putting water level to the screen top (salinity dropped 1.026 -> 1.024... benefits of using a water bottle ATO is not overflowing or too huge salinity dip).

2. RFA "shed" skin of its foot and had a walk, found on the side glass, obviously passed between the hammer/octospawn/torch--they are not happy at all and hiding today; Pulled out the shed mucousy skin and found it was covered in TDO pellet mush, like 20+ pellets-worth of mush--apparently the new Eheim autofeeder/feeding ring wasn't working very well. I tested it beforehand, but obviously not enough.

3. Gorgonian seems to have shed skin as well. All polyps were retracted.

4. PO4 > 3, up from the 0.5ish level I was at before leaving. Haven't even checked NO3 or other parameters.

What to do? Well, my coworker took out the Seachem Matrix and live rock rubble from the back chambers yesterday in case it was causing the clog. Didn't smell great sitting in still tank water overnight. Cleaned out chambers, wiped down pump, and found that the culprit for the clog was the filter floss--despite coworker rinsing it out every 2 days, seems like the inside between the course and fine filter pads was gummed up with TDO pellet mush. Water was barely going through it. Changed 3 gallons of water, replaced Matrix and Rubble, added new Carbon/Purigen/Phosguard, and added a few drops of Prime in case ammonium decided to creep up.

Good news:
1. Tank didn't seem to crash, got to it in time, although will keep holding breath--I know a lot of the negative effects of these swings can manifest way down the line... fingers crossed.
2. Clam seems unaffected so far by the swings, fingers crossed.
3. Tailspot blenny and firefish still alive, just looking hungry.
4. Moved the RFA back to the sand bed and it seems to have re-attached and opened up again, fingers crossed.
5. Some polyps coming out of gorgonian again, fingers crossed.
6. 2 out of 3 crabs found alive (green porcelain hiding or no longer with us).

Now to figure out how to failsafe the tank for future business trips/vacations... Thinking that the fish might have to learn to fast over the weekend if I can't dial in the autofeeder. Switch from coworker rinsing filter floss pads to changing new ones every 1-2 days.
How long were you away?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were you away?
Thursday to Tuesday! Coworker fed Thurs/Fri/Mon/Tues liquid egg/plankton foods, and Eheim fed TDO pellets each day 2x per day (thinking it would drop only 5-10 pellets per activation). Appears that the clog happened sometime on Tuesday AM.

lobstermeet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me too with my AIO. Clogged filter sock caused ATO to overdo it, luckily my reservoir is small so it cant overflow. Gonna just remove mechanical filtration next time I go on vacay.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me too with my AIO. Clogged filter sock caused ATO to overdo it, luckily my reservoir is small so it cant overflow. Gonna just remove mechanical filtration next time I go on vacay.
This seems like a good idea. My two vacations that had problems were both associated with mechanical filtration. First time on my home tank was a GHA problem that clogged the filter too quickly, and this time was the TDO pellets (presumably). Without the AIO filters, it probably would have just keep cycling the pellets till they were eaten.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacation Gremlins....

christmas movies gremlins GIF

This is a real thing. In my 15yrs.... just about anything that's been a major issue happened right before, DURING, or right after a vacation.

I swear vacation gremlins with reef tanks exist

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything survived at least. I use my tanks and dogs as an excuse not to go on vacation. Of course I'm older and kids are grown so that makes it acceptable. Well that and my gals sister will travel with her so I don't have to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It seems things go haywire when we are away. Some resort to cameras, but nothing you can do, And I sure dont want to be on vacation watching tank go south.
I have a very experienced reefer to tend to my tank in my absence. Im sure salinity is low

lobstermeet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a good idea. My two vacations that had problems were both associated with mechanical filtration. First time on my home tank was a GHA problem that clogged the filter too quickly, and this time was the TDO pellets (presumably). Without the AIO filters, it probably would have just keep cycling the pellets till they were eaten.
Yeah probably the safest bet to just remove everything. There's no harm in just letting the rear chamber circulate water without doing anything for a little while. Light and flow are all you really need to keep stuff alive.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday to Tuesday! Coworker fed Thurs/Fri/Mon/Tues liquid egg/plankton foods, and Eheim fed TDO pellets each day 2x per day (thinking it would drop only 5-10 pellets per activation). Appears that the clog happened sometime on Tuesday AM.
Oh, I wouln't have fed anything for a trip of less than a week unless I had a mandarin or similar.

Just a reliable ATO and remove mechanical filtration

Sometimes Murphy is just waiting - better luck next time :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems things go haywire when we are away. Some resort to cameras, but nothing you can do, And I sure dont want to be on vacation watching tank go south.
I have a very experienced reefer to tend to my tank in my absence. Im sure salinity is low
Yes, I travel a lot and mostly have no internet while away so I don't bother with cameras.
Just an email from the controller to the LFS once a week to keep an eye on it for me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back