Back from Vacation....

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having a hard time with my new tank / Back in hobby after 3 years. Let me know how to get things going in the right direction reef masters! Zoa's and hammer are not looking good.

Main details:
  1. Bought and transported reefer 250 / 65 total gal - 18 month old tank into my home around mid Feb of this year. I personally have had the system up and running 9 months.
  2. 79 degrees, 1.025, Calcium 425, Alk 7.1, ammonia 0 ph 8.Ordered ph test. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 nitrate 0. Cal test is Red sea pro, ALK is hannah. Rest are cheap api....
  3. Weekly WC 5 or 10 gal WC using ro di water.

Several bad luck items happened....went on an over night fishing trip / forgot to plug in ATO, reading was 1.029 or 1.030 before I ran to add water. I'd guess it was high for 4 or 5 hours. Next decided to dose Marin all in one for 3 days / started with 6ml. Things started to look worse so I stopped and did a few WC....Then friends wedding in Mexico / out of town for 5 days and couldn't keep an eye on it. Everything isnt doing great and I am pretty sure I have Chrysophytes - it comes off in sheets / sometimes big pieces look like "bark," from a tree.

What should I do? Thank you!

IMG_0A2666C177A6-1.jpeg IMG_1DCCD93498FA-1.jpeg IMG_56FDD1E3A516-1.jpeg IMG_FF86A0D788C2-1.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see we were both reading the same post on chrysophtes. I only asked about the carbon because I think I had overdosed and caused something that looked like what you have to appear. Cut back on dosing and it went away slowly. Now GH is beginning to come back.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see we were both reading the same post on chrysophtes. I only asked about the carbon because I think I had overdosed and caused something that looked like what you have to appear. Cut back on dosing and it went away slowly. Now GH is beginning to come back.

ha yep im desperate : )

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think it would have much to do with dosing - I had it before and only dosed 3 days / that was about 2 weeks ago. But I am guessing and will for not add anything else.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be my dosing made mine worse, or maybe it was a coincidence. I had not noticed it before dosing the carbon. And it was at its worse it was mostly only in areas exposed to lights. I am always reading and trying to learn. I will read more on the thread we were reading earlier. What I had was thick, slimy and spongy. I could peel it off in small chunks, leaving the rocks underneath mostly clean. But it quickly covered them again.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be my dosing made mine worse, or maybe it was a coincidence. I had not noticed it before dosing the carbon. And it was at its worse it was mostly only in areas exposed to lights. I am always reading and trying to learn. I will read more on the thread we were reading earlier. What I had was thick, slimy and spongy. I could peel it off in small chunks, leaving the rocks underneath mostly clean. But it quickly covered them again.
OOOOOO I see what confused me. You said, "doing carbon," so yes, I am using carbon in a BRS carbon reactor. I didnt think that was considered, "dosing."

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks too clean to me. I did not see phosphorus or phosphate measurement?

Corals actually like some nitrate and phosphate in the system to be happy.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By dosing carbon I mean actually adding either vinegar or vodka. Or as combination of the two. But yes, the tank appears to clean, as KrisReef mentioned. Just what Chrysophtes like. I read a post by mochaclownlover "what kind of algae is this". More info there. And saltyfilmfolks put up a link to even more.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks too clean to me. I did not see phosphorus or phosphate measurement?

Corals actually like some nitrate and phosphate in the system to be happy.
let me know if you think these are essential to a LPS tank and I will order.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding fish I would say your nutrient levels are probably fine, but I don't see any fish?
I think it is important to be sure you have nutrients P & NO3 for corals so you probably should get the water tested for them. If you want to own the kits or just have the LFS test for you is my second concern. If you have nutrients now with what you are doing then unless your practices change you may not need to test but once?

Here is a good link that talks about a tank that went through different nutrient levels over a few years' time and what their coral health results were. I found it helpful and brief.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding fish I would say your nutrient levels are probably fine, but I don't see any fish?
I think it is important to be sure you have nutrients P & NO3 for corals so you probably should get the water tested for them. If you want to own the kits or just have the LFS test for you is my second concern. If you have nutrients now with what you are doing then unless your practices change you may not need to test but once?

Here is a good link that talks about a tank that went through different nutrient levels over a few years' time and what their coral health results were. I found it helpful and brief.

thank you for the info. I have two clowns and a small red shrimp. I feed about once every 3 days.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a pretty small live stock for a tank that size. phosphate and nitrate you should test. unless you are reading 0 on both you might get a cyno out brake if that happens or other weird stuff. corals will not like it the will take in some from the water. how often do you feed corals once or twice a week maybe?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crabcore is correct regarding livestock and feeding levels. I like to feed my fish very lightly but you make my feeding look like a feast compared to your rations. (Every 3 days, you are going to have the Nemo's rights folk protesting outside your house! :) )

Feed more often!

Also, do you feed your corals? Those mouths are not just for smiling for your photos.

I would test and see if you do have nutrients, and if the numbers are low try increasing them (by feeding your fish, and your corals) for a time and see if the corals don't improve

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for the corals with your Alk being at 7.1 I think you could get that up as most are running their tanks at 7-11dkh.

Randy has a great article here about where we can keep our tanks :)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be careful with and advise against raising Alk. I think 7 should be more than fine for the time being. OP has 2 clowns and a shrimp and feeds once every three days. That is a serious lack of nutrients to maintain a healthy reef. Raising alkalinity in the absence of any detectable nutrients would IMO make things worse than they already are.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed w reef roids - I will up my feeding thank you everyone! My Hannah Phosphate checker should arrive today and I will post new levels.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back