Back glass or side glass for flow?!

whatchamacallit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious where everyone is putting there pumps for water flow. I currently have two mp10s on the back panel of my tank and I'm starting to wonder if I should go back to having headphones on my tank. Does anyone see problems with the way I'm currently running it?

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched it up a little in my 60 cube. You can look at my build thread for pics of rock work but I just put a Gyre 130 in the top left corner pointing towards the center of the overflow. This is creating a gyre motion around the tank and then I have a mp10 almost dead center on the back wall. So far Im liking this, I'm wanting sps on the very top of my rock work and was having trouble getting the right flow up there. I think this will get it done. Ill get some updated pics in my build thread before long.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a XF130 for side to side flow and 2x MP-10WQDs on my rear back panels for back to front flow . Gives me a good amount of random flow. Corals are growing nice and thick.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your always going to get debre stuck somewhere, its just a thing thats going to happen. I have 2- 3200gph powerheads on the sides of my tank, and 1- 1200gph in the center, and I still get food stuck in the back of the rocks. But, I do have really good slow in the tank, I don't get deas areas. Guess there really isn't a wrong way to do it, if you don't like it one way, you can always move them around, or add another power head to the mix.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting a 50g corner pentagon tank set up and I have been wondering the same thing. It's likely that I will have one pike of rocks in the center. I'll be using a Jebao RW4. Thought I'd put it on one of the long corners aides and point slightly down and toward the front shorter side to try to get it to flow all the way around the rocks. Any suggestions?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run mine on the side but have really thought about mounting to the back glass. Interesting topic!

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1200 power head on each side and a WP10 on the back glass. Seem to do the job nicely so far. Corals show random flow

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back