Back glass paint???

robbie8691

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going with a black back glass but I am not sure what is the best option. I have used plasti dip in the past and did not like it as it scratches and comes off way to easy. I will get the sponge brush and do multiple coats but not sure what is the best paint at Home Depot? Also gloss or flat black

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with black 3M vinyl. Pretty strong and can easily be removed. If you stick with paint anything will work but spraying is usually easiest. Matte or gloss doesnt seemingly matter since glass makes it glossy from the viewing angles of your tank

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Krylon a few times and have decided it will be vinyl window tint from now on.
Beyond scratches, I have had salt creep get under the paint and peel it back.

I have prepped with vinegar, acetone, ammonia (not on the same tank), even rising with DI after doesn't seem to make a difference. Although a couple really thin coats seemed to fair better. Thin enough that light seeps through and you can see through some areas if you look closely.

Jolly Roger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best stuff I have used is Rust-Oleum Black Enamel. You can use the spray or the traditional can and roller. I would spend the extra money on a good 4" roller. I did 4 coats and got full coverage on a 36 x 20 tank using an 8 oz can. When it comes to the finish it doesn't matter you will only see it on the back side but I went with flat black.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/52FAQ-paint-back-of-aquarium/

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum...ack-Protective-Enamel-Paint-7776502/100186061

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank came with a painted (rolled) back from LeeMar. I turned it into an in-wall and flexi-dipped the side panels blue and then rolled a similarly colored layer of blue Behr premium on top of that to "seal" the flexi-dip because of the issues you describe. My back panel was rolled with flat black. The flexi-dip/roll combo looks profoundly better.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps in illustrating the difference but when you spray multiple coats of the flexidip( I prefer it over plasti dip and it seems most of the auto guys do as well from what I've read) there is hardly any texture whatsoever. But as mentioned it can scratch easily if you bump into etc. Sealing it with a similar color prevents that and you're left with what I feel is a better cleaner look from the display. When holding a light to my black/back panel, which as stated was rolled by LeeMar, there is noticeable texture which takes away from the "Infiniti" look if the light hits it wrong. Just my observations/opinion. HTH/good luck

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Satin Acrylic Paint Non toxic. 5 coats. 1hr per coat. Michael's or Walmart in the arts and craft section. Put a fan on it between dry times. Use a sponge roller! Buy the roller at Job Lots, Big Lots, Ocean State etc.. It comes with the roller and plastic tray in the picture. Also get a sponge brush to get up under the frame. Paint $8 (enough for 3 tanks easy)+Roller w/tray and small brush $3 = Everything hidden, corals & fish colors popping. Remember NON TOXIC. Says it right on the back. I did 3 coats on the 20g. I did have some paint loss but not bad at all. 5 coats is much more solid. Do 7 if you want. Both are glass tanks. If you don't like the color. Dampen the back. Razor blade. Comes right off with not much elbow grease.

20170221_050746.jpg

20170109_161029.jpg

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use a high quality spray paint, don't go any further than Montana Gold or Ironlak. A little pricy, but weather resistant, fade resistant and amazing quality.
However I just use cheap spray paint that costs 1/4 the amount and I've never had issues. It scratches pretty easily, but I imagine a clear coat would stop that happening :)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did the back of my 140, I just rolled on some black acrylic paint from Lowe's. It took a number of coats, but the tank is going on 11 years old and there isn't a mark on the back of the tank anywhere. Many people have had great results with a wide variety of paints, as you are seeing from the replies so far.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back