Back in Hobby after 15 years

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I had a 55 gallon back in the early 2000’s, and back in March purchased a 100 gallon used tank to get back into the hobby. I spent a month having it plumbed and buying all the equipment, and for the past 3 months it has been up and running. Up until a week ago I had 9 fish (2 Picasso clowns, 3 Bengali’s, a longnose hawk, bluejaw trigger, foxface and kole tang) along with 4 coral frags and an anemone. The kole tang was the second to last fish added, and I ended up introducing velvet, which wiped out my fish. I now just have the tank running with a fire shrimp, snowflake anemone, some snails and the frags. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. Will be fallow until probably the end of August

2E95D0EA-85AE-4F4C-B5F4-F7C13976D3BA.jpeg 4522DE15-BFCE-4B83-933B-8C371D47FFCB.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to remove and quarantine are you treating with anything?

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent all my $$ on the display setup, and now wish I had set aside for a QT, but I didn’t. I literally was working with a LFS that had QT tanks to transfer my stock, and even had an offer from Dr Reef to ship them over and they’d QT For me, but the very next day they were all gone, stuck to the power heads or swimming upside down. Once I netted the ones still swimming they immediately died

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i see well hoping for the best man keep updating and hope things get better

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Me too. Hard lesson and not something I enjoy posting, but others need to hear the good and bad. Velvet literally took all my fish in a few days. Seriously thought about breaking the whole thing down, but I’m not going to give up. If anyone is local to SoCal it would be nice to have a local to bounce stuff off of.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The question is velvet or ich.
With ich, you can generally count the dots whereas with velvet, it represents the solar system as in the case of your tang. velvet spots on the fish that are much finer than the spots seen in Ich making it harder to catch until in cases too late to treat.
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees monitored by a reliable test kit (no api brand either)

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely velvet. After about a week in the tank, the kole tang looked like I rolled him in powdered sugar, and the next day my clownfish and trigger looked the same. 2 days later everyone was gone

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Me too. Hard lesson and not something I enjoy posting, but others need to hear the good and bad. Velvet literally took all my fish in a few days. Seriously thought about breaking the whole thing down, but I’m not going to give up. If anyone is local to SoCal it would be nice to have a local to bounce stuff off of.
So Cal homie right here. Ventura county specifically. Imma hit you with some of my history real quick

April of last year:

Screenshot_20220622-161312.png

April of this year:
Screenshot_20220622-161513.png

What's the point??

It gets better homie. Velvet Rocked me to the core. Was extremely expensive, and I could have easily thrown it in then.

Super happy I didn't.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Cal homie right here. Ventura county specifically. Imma hit you with some of my history real quick

April of last year:

Screenshot_20220622-161312.png

April of this year:
Screenshot_20220622-161513.png

What's the point??

It gets better homie. Velvet Rocked me to the core. Was extremely expensive, and I could have easily thrown it in then.

Super happy I didn't. Where are you located? Where are you sourcing your fish to replenish and more importantly, Have you looked into and decided upon a route to take for future quarantine?

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to hear bro, I need some uplifting encouragement right now. I am in the Long Beach area so a bit of a drive from you, but nice to hear from someone relatively close to me that has experienced a similar issue!

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought all but one fish (the kole tang!) from Age of Aquariums. The Kole came from Ellis Aquatics. I wasn’t even gonna buy him as I was there for my anemone, but I was getting algae so I said “well I need a tang”…..big mistake

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few gift cards for Fathers Day towards the fish tank, so I will probably use that for a small QT system when my fallow period is up

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to hear bro, I need some uplifting encouragement right now. I am in the Long Beach area so a bit of a drive from you, but nice to hear from someone relatively close to me that has experienced a similar issue!
Here's my MAIN takeaway:
PXL_20220622_232650489.jpg

I got a few gift cards for Fathers Day towards the fish tank, so I will probably use that for a small QT system when my fallow period is up
If you wait until your fallow is up you will be on month and a half behind.. Right now while you are fishless is the perfect time to be building up the QT, sourcing your fish, and getting them to observation at least on harder to find models. Plan for a minimum 45 days in qt and so long as everyone is ready, they can dump in Healthy Day one of your tank being back open for Business.

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I might look into that this weekend….I was just in shock for a bit. I’m assuming I will need to drop a sponge or something in my sump to seed the QT for cycling, and I don’t think I’ll go so extravagant as you! My wife is already rolling her eyes at a fishless tank 3 months in.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I might look into that this weekend….I was just in shock for a bit. I’m assuming I will need to drop a sponge or something in my sump to seed the QT for cycling, and I don’t think I’ll go so extravagant as you! My wife is already rolling her eyes at a fishless tank 3 months in.
Feel free to hit me up. I'd outlined most of my process in my build thread and I'm happy to Talk it over with you before you set everything up and get going

OP
OP
T

travdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read to continue to feed the tank. I have the shrimp, snails and anemone, so I know they need to eat

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back