Back in the hobby and MTRC after a decade+!

musicman223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello MTRC!

My name is James and I was an MTRC member YYYEEAAAARRSSSS ago (around 2006-2008, I think) back when we were on the ReefCentral forum, etc. I think my forum handle was "musicman" or "musicman223" like it is here. I picked that because I had/have a MusicMan bass guitar. I was fresh out of college then and had a couple small (29 and 55 gallon) tanks and really loved the meets at different members' houses, etc. I bought lots of frags from FishDoc, GFlat, and many others! Life happened, I got married and sold everything off and sadly exited the hobby, but always hoped for a return to reefing someday.

Last weekend a great friend of mine called and told me he was moving, and asked if I wanted his Red Sea Max Nano setup. Fully stocked, etc! Well of course I did! Sunday I went down to his house, packed everything up and reassembled it that evening.

These are pics right after re-setup and I hadn't cleaned the glass yet, but it's a great start! I'll make some changes and shift toward more SPS over the next year. I just ordered a fresh cleanup crew from reefcleaners that should be here Friday, and am so excited to be back in the reef hobby again! I hope to maybe reconnect with some familiar faces and meet new friends as well! One of the best parts of the hobby to me was the great friends I made along the way.

Believe it or not, MTRC is actually responsible for my current job! One of the people I met here in maybe 2007 became one of my very best friends. We also share a couple other hobbies and two years ago I joined the company at which he works due to his referral! This small company now employs 3 current/former MTRC members, haha!

I live in Smyrna now and have already found a fellow reefer in my neighborhood, who is a mutual friend of the aforementioned job-referring friend! Small world. Please speak up if you live nearby, or if my username is familiar at all to you from years past. I'd love to meet up and start or rekindle some friendships! I'd also be happy to host a small local meet someday if/when people are comfortable with that. I'll never have a monster tank or anything to show off, but to me MTRC was just as much about the people as it was the tanks!

20210913_120820.jpg
20210913_152410.jpg
20210914_082041.jpg

UrksOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello MTRC!

My name is James and I was an MTRC member YYYEEAAAARRSSSS ago (around 2006-2008, I think) back when we were on the ReefCentral forum, etc. I think my forum handle was "musicman" or "musicman223" like it is here. I picked that because I had/have a MusicMan bass guitar. I was fresh out of college then and had a couple small (29 and 55 gallon) tanks and really loved the meets at different members' houses, etc. I bought lots of frags from FishDoc, GFlat, and many others! Life happened, I got married and sold everything off and sadly exited the hobby, but always hoped for a return to reefing someday.

Last weekend a great friend of mine called and told me he was moving, and asked if I wanted his Red Sea Max Nano setup. Fully stocked, etc! Well of course I did! Sunday I went down to his house, packed everything up and reassembled it that evening.

These are pics right after re-setup and I hadn't cleaned the glass yet, but it's a great start! I'll make some changes and shift toward more SPS over the next year. I just ordered a fresh cleanup crew from reefcleaners that should be here Friday, and am so excited to be back in the reef hobby again! I hope to maybe reconnect with some familiar faces and meet new friends as well! One of the best parts of the hobby to me was the great friends I made along the way.

Believe it or not, MTRC is actually responsible for my current job! One of the people I met here in maybe 2007 became one of my very best friends. We also share a couple other hobbies and two years ago I joined the company at which he works due to his referral! This small company now employs 3 current/former MTRC members, haha!

I live in Smyrna now and have already found a fellow reefer in my neighborhood, who is a mutual friend of the aforementioned job-referring friend! Small world. Please speak up if you live nearby, or if my username is familiar at all to you from years past. I'd love to meet up and start or rekindle some friendships! I'd also be happy to host a small local meet someday if/when people are comfortable with that. I'll never have a monster tank or anything to show off, but to me MTRC was just as much about the people as it was the tanks!

20210913_120820.jpg
20210913_152410.jpg
20210914_082041.jpg
Welcome back. We received your membership dues and will add your name to the list for the next print of membership cards

OP
OP
musicman223

musicman223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Lucky you!

Thanks Elaine! Yes, very lucky! I couldn't believe it when my friend called. I'm super sad he'll be moving away, but also very thankful that he thought so much of me to do this.

He knows I'll take good care of everything and the fish and inverts will thrive at our house.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back