Back in with a 235g Quarter cylinder

Got the tank in the house with the stand and hood panted. Rock work in and filled with water. Waiting on another bulkhead to get the mix station all put together. Added turbo start and ammonia. On day 2 of the cycle start. Already down to 0 ammonia and 2 nitrite.



IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg
Woah… you might want to revisit Rocketengineer stand design on the QT and mixing station stands…

They’re relying on screws in shear for their primarily load bearing right now, and will likely not last in this configuration!
 
Woah… you might want to revisit Rocketengineer stand design on the QT and mixing station stands…

They’re relying on screws in shear for their primarily load bearing right now, and will likely not last in this configuration!
Your right. I got another 2x4 already to double up the legs under the frame. Thank you for the catch and advice
 
This is the overflow box. I wanna make the small center one bigger to make it easier for the return pump. I’d like to just make it larger diameter almost backwards since the holes are already pretty close to each other



IMG_0746.jpeg
I use a step drill for acrylic holes.
 
Turned the lights on and added the first 4 fish ( pair of mocha clowns, royal gramma, and starry blenny). Cycled it fishless took about 15 days. Day 1 clowns and blenny ate. Royal Gramma just popped out for the first time still a little tank shy.



IMG_0894.jpeg
 
This tank is frustrating the hell out of me. I have multiple scratches already. This is my first acrylic tank. I did a lot of research and bought the mighty magnet (with acrylic pad) for it cause a lot of people said it was a great safe option but literally every time I use it there is more scratches. I don’t even get within 5 inches of the sand bed and by the time I’m out of the diatom stage there is going to be so many scratches. I don’t know what to do to keep it clean. I can’t do it by hand reasonably since it’s so deep and hard to reach in with the hood. Looking for advice on how to better clean the front panel
 
This tank is frustrating the hell out of me. I have multiple scratches already. This is my first acrylic tank. I did a lot of research and bought the mighty magnet (with acrylic pad) for it cause a lot of people said it was a great safe option but literally every time I use it there is more scratches. I don’t even get within 5 inches of the sand bed and by the time I’m out of the diatom stage there is going to be so many scratches. I don’t know what to do to keep it clean. I can’t do it by hand reasonably since it’s so deep and hard to reach in with the hood. Looking for advice on how to better clean the front panel
Curved panes are inherently much more challenging to clean, primarily because the cleaner only wants to contact at two edges, which creates a lot of point pressure!

regardless of which cleaning tool you use, side-to-side motions are the way, up and down motions are basically running a sharp edge in a straight line across the acrylic!

I’ve had great results in my acrylic hexagon (with radius corners) using an acrylic specific mag float, correctly sized for the 1/4” thick walls… it isn’t a fantastic cleaning tool, but it does get the job done without leaving scratches! (And this tank is roughly a decade into service on the same mag float!)

You can also use the likes of a credit card, or a plastic scraper/stiff squeegee, but all your cleaning motions on the viewing pane should go side-to-side, regardless of the tool you pick!
 
Got the tank in the house with the stand and hood panted. Rock work in and filled with water. Waiting on another bulkhead to get the mix station all put together. Added turbo start and ammonia. On day 2 of the cycle start. Already down to 0 ammonia and 2 nitrite.



IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

That looks amazing! Fits so nicely there!

Acrylic is a pain. Sorry to hear about the scratches. I have no ideas on cleaning the tank. My last tank was acrylic and scratched day two
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new