Back into reefing with a Red Sea Reefer 250

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, after a pretty long break from the hobby the urge to get back in was too great so here I am back at it again.

I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 250 because I really like the style and design of these tanks. The 250 fit the space we had for a tank petty well so that was the winner. After grabbing the last few parts from the LFS I spent the past weekend setting it up.

Equipment List
Red Sea Reefer 250
Reef Octopus 110 Classic Slim skimmer
200W Heater
Jebao DCQ5000 return pump
Ai Prime HD x2

In the Tank
Carib sea special grade LS-Just shy of 40lbs
Cured Real Reef live rock from LFS about 26lbs

I used a RO/DI unit from Bulk Reef supply and Reef Crystals for my salt mix.

My plan for the tank will be a mixed reef with mostly Softies and LPS corals but am not certain on fish yet.

Some history on my experience. In the early 2000s my upgrade path went from my first saltwater fish only tank to running and managing a LFS. That's the advise right....biggest tank you can fit and afford LOL. Life happened I had to move on LFS closed down I still kept a type of tank here and there but ultimately stopped around 2005ish.

But now for what we are all really here for some pictures of fish tanks :)

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am planning on getting another 15 or so lbs of rock. I like the look of the scape but I think it is a bit too thin and not enough. But would welcome any feedback on that or the build itself. Also the cable mess in the cabinet is from when I was still getting everything in place and has since been tidied up.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank looks great and I really like the rock work design, very nice indeed

And welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us!

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. Really digging the community here. My plan is to add a bit more height to the two main sections of the aquascape to give me a good range of light and flow options for corals.

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I have a RedSea Max 250. I kinda wish I had an external sump instead of the built in. I guess I could always modify it, but I'm not really motivated to do that. Look forward to seeing what you do with this.

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good. I have a RedSea Max 250. I kinda wish I had an external sump instead of the built in. I guess I could always modify it, but I'm not really motivated to do that. Look forward to seeing what you do with this.
Conversion would be possible but would be a bit of an undertaking that is for sure. I was looking at the IM Fusion 40 at first but that built in "sump"is what pushed me to this instead.

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations for powerheads for this tank. I picked up 2 jebao pp-15 from amazon because it was cheap relative to the features it had. I put one in last night and the sound it makes ramping up or cycling on and off is rather loud and annoying. Also if it factors in to the recommendation at some put I may end up with a controller for this tank.

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things has been busy and I have not had a chance to update this thread. But things are moving along nicely. I have added some livestock, 2 onyx clowns, some green star polyps, and some palythoas. Yes yes GSP are a nuisance but I love them and they are on an island for now. I also added an Apex EL. Really need to work on an equipment cabinet solution now. The little cabinet of the 250 gets filled pretty quick :) I have a finer micron filter sock in the main. The included one just does not seem to catch enough. Also some items in route to get the refugium up and running.

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And what may they be?

Picked up a Kessil H80 with a mount. Also ordered the Algae Barn starter kit with cheato from saltwateraquarium.com The site does not indicate that it is on backorder or out of stock but it did not ship yet. LFS had a pretty good sale on frags so I grabbed this small branching hammer. After a dip and cutting it off the way to big frag plug it was glued to it opened right up in less than an hour. I am dangerously close to going back to the LFS today and picking up the fluval 13.5 to set up as a nano in my office.

IMG_0569.jpg

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few updates from this weekend. I made a not so pretty but functional shelf for the cabinet. Still thinking about a separate equipment cabinet. But this works well enough for now. Added a second Nero 5, still dialing the pair in for settings and location. Plus picked up some new frags small ricordea and pulsing xenia

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been a busy few weeks lots of updates to the build to add. Fist off I picked up an equipment cabinet from a member here since it was pretty much the perfect size for the small space I had. I have moved everything out from under the tank to that cabinet. Set up a mixing station in the basement and added the neptune ATK to replace the built in reefer ATO. I got tired of filling that small reservoir all the time. Then since the mixing station was all set up I added a DOS to do auto water changes as well.

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

OP
OP
S

smellytunic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For live stock. I have added a Scoly and a skunk cleaner. Here is the scoly right after a feeding. So amazing to watch.

IMG_0598.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back