Back to a 40B

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco had their half-off sale so I’m breaking down my 20L this weekend and upgrading to a 40B!

It’s the most reasonable tank size for a Peacock. Mine is nearly 2 years old and he is just going to get bigger. I will need to upgrade his PVC pipe burrow soon too. I got him fairly small so he may have a few more years in him.

With Peacocks, it all comes down to molts/shell rot. With good water quality the latter shouldn’t be too much a risk, but there’s nothing you can do about a bad molt.

This has generally speaking been a successful venture so far and I’m hoping that continues. Been almost 6 years since I broke down my last 40B. Like last time I will try some coral too, mostly stony corals. Looking for some easy and fast growing varieties.

Some takeaways:
-Keep it simple works for mantis shrimp tanks. For growing high end coral you might need more magic potions and procedures but mantis shrimp tanks just don’t need it.
-IF you have enough of it, macroalgae is as effective as a protein skimmer for removing nitrates. Granted, you do need quite a lot. But do what you have to do to reduce nitrates to between 0-5ppm. That’s what matters.
-Live food recommended. It’s expensive, but live snails and crabs are important for the health and activity of the mantis.
-Canister filters can be a pain but do serve some purpose. Extra room for biological filtration, for example

I’ll post some new videos on Youtube when I can.

OP
OP
nmotz

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling! All systems go so far.

Attachments

• IMG_7404.jpeg
    IMG_7404.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
nmotz

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are a week later… no major problems but there has been a lot of macroalgae die off. I’ve been dosing with Seachem Prime to be safe.

I’ll need to get some more dry rock, and a new pump if I want to start growing more coral, otherwise I’m pretty pleased so far and Orion has been very active.

Attachments

• IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
nmotz

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another crab smashing video!

Also pretty cool photos showing how badly Orion damaged this crab’s claw.

Attachments

• IMG_7518.jpeg
    IMG_7518.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7517.jpeg
    IMG_7517.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 34

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back