Back to Plating Sponges - What do I need to watch out for?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally found somewhere for blue plating sponges. One of my lfs is cultivating a hitchhiker frag and it's currently a few inches across in size, and I'd love a chunk of that. However, my tank is currently battling dinoflagellates, they have returned after being gone for a week, and I am uncertain of how sponges tend to interact with this stuff. Have anyone kept plating sponges? What usually kills them and what chemicals/microbes I have to watch out for? Is the air = death thing true? Are they parameter - sensitive?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I finally found somewhere for blue plating sponges. One of my lfs is cultivating a hitchhiker frag and it's currently a few inches across in size, and I'd love a chunk of that. However, my tank is currently battling dinoflagellates, they have returned after being gone for a week, and I am uncertain of how sponges tend to interact with this stuff. Have anyone kept plating sponges? What usually kills them and what chemicals/microbes I have to watch out for? Is the air = death thing true? Are they parameter - sensitive?
I would avoid purchase until the Dinos are addressed. plating sponges are somewhat aggressive. So - covering the Dinos may help. (at least that specific area). There is debate about the air thing - however I would avoid air contact. hope this helps

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid purchase until the Dinos are addressed. plating sponges are somewhat aggressive. So - covering the Dinos may help. (at least that specific area). There is debate about the air thing - however I would avoid air contact. hope this helps
Thanks. I was suggested by the shop owner that they may help fight dinoflagellates by depleting silicone… which I guess would depend on whether the species I have possesses a shell. Is $40 CAD a good price for a frag?

Also, are they vulnerable after fragging like corals are?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone kept plating sponges? What usually kills them and what chemicals/microbes I have to watch out for? Is the air = death thing true? Are they parameter - sensitive?
A lot of people have kept them - they tend to well as long as they have enough light; some people report them being invasive or nearly invasive with how well they do.

Any chemicals that would kill bacteria, cyano, macroalgae, etc. are probably a no-go (I've heard for sure Chemiclean will kill them, the rest I assume would cause distress for various reasons, most notably being that it would mess with any available food for the sponge in the tank). You wouldn't be able to keep out any sponge diseases/sponge-harming microbes (partially because they'd be way too small to see, and partially because you'd have to know which microbes would cause harm; sponge disease is complex and - to my current knowledge - rarely associated with one specific microbe, instead being associated with more widespread microbiome shifts). Shading would be bad for them too.

The air thing is heavily disputed:
I've heard this too, but I strongly question the validity of it because numerous sponge species are found in the intertidal zone and are exposed to air with every low tide (see the link below). That said, it's possible that it may be able to cause problems for some species (see the quote below), but your method of releasing the air bubbles is what I would've done/suggested anyway as a precaution.

Again, I personally doubt this is actually an issue. This subject reminds me of the confirmedly false myth that starfish die when exposed to air; in reality they only die from prolonged air exposure, similar to how we humans die from prolonged water exposure (submersion). For starfish, a quick trip through the air won't kill it, and I'd imagine the same holds true for most (if not all) sponges.

So, I'd assume that as long as your tank can provide the proper environment and care for the sponge, it'll recover from any problems.
Agreed - it seems to be a very nicely colored sponge.

With regards to sponges dying when exposed to air, my understanding is that they essentially get air trapped inside their structure and slowly desiccate and/or starve from not being able to continuously filter the water in and out of their body. I wonder if this condition could be treated successfully using methods similar to how one "burps" a clam or a nautilus (i.e. I'm curious if slowly rotating it 360 degrees underwater multiple times would help relieve the problem/release the air from inside the sponge). I suppose with a sponge you would likely need to rotate it 360 degrees in a number of different directions (i.e. top to bottom, side to side, diagonals, etc.) and/or possibly expose it to some flow while "burping" it to help dislodge any bubbles in the spicules, but - in my mind/in theory at least - it seems like it would help.
To my knowledge, they're not particularly parameter sensitive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I was suggested by the shop owner that they may help fight dinoflagellates by depleting silicone… which I guess would depend on whether the species I have possesses a shell. Is $40 CAD a good price for a frag?

Also, are they vulnerable after fragging like corals are?
I would think 'not vulnerable' and as to the Canadian conversion IDK - how big is the frag, etc - if its something you want $40 is not terrible... I would try negotiating

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back