Back to Reefs after 30 years

Welcome!
excited surf GIF by Outside TV
 
Wow 30 years welcome back heck I quit about the time leds were just coming on the scene and algae scrubbers were going to save the world. And I’m still blown away. I’m still sporting bioballs in my vintage tank.
 
AaaR2R2.gif


Yep. LOTS of changes, yes? I'm floored as well. 30 years ago it was put water in tank. Put fish in water. That was pretty much it.

So Greetings and Welcome to our collective obsession!!!!
 
I kept a Berlin style reef back in the early 1990's in college with a WetDry filter, Turboflotor protein skimmer and live wet rock I order from an ad in a magazine, shipped from Fiji. And yes, I had a $20 Yellow Tang. After moving away after college, I stuck with freshwater planted tanks. Got into aquascaping, and even entered a few competitions at local expos.

Started a 60g cube four months ago and enjoying learning all the ways the hobby has changed over the past decades. Pleased to find that a lot of aquacultured animals are available now!
Welcome to Reef2Reef and back to the salty world! Glad you've decided to join us. And that $20 yellow tang is WILD! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
I kept a Berlin style reef back in the early 1990's in college with a WetDry filter, Turboflotor protein skimmer and live wet rock I order from an ad in a magazine, shipped from Fiji. And yes, I had a $20 Yellow Tang. After moving away after college, I stuck with freshwater planted tanks. Got into aquascaping, and even entered a few competitions at local expos.

Started a 60g cube four months ago and enjoying learning all the ways the hobby has changed over the past decades. Pleased to find that a lot of aquacultured animals are available now!
Welcome back to the hobby! What are your plans with the 60g?
 
Welcome back to the hobby! What are your plans with the 60g?
Well, initially it was FOWLR. Now maybe just a few easy softies. But I'll see how it goes! I really don't want to become a Chemist, so that's going to limit me. I'll do the water changes, sure. But testing and dosing and chasing parameters doesn't sound like fun.
 
Welcome to R2R!!! :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new