Back to Reefs after 30 years

Hershingen Mosiken

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
24
Location
Winston Salem
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a Berlin style reef back in the early 1990's in college with a WetDry filter, Turboflotor protein skimmer and live wet rock I order from an ad in a magazine, shipped from Fiji. And yes, I had a $20 Yellow Tang. After moving away after college, I stuck with freshwater planted tanks. Got into aquascaping, and even entered a few competitions at local expos.

Started a 60g cube four months ago and enjoying learning all the ways the hobby has changed over the past decades. Pleased to find that a lot of aquacultured animals are available now!
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Wow, things have changed a lot in 30 years. Should be much easier now especially with this forum! Welcome back.
Towards the end of the 90's, I did enjoy the ReefCentral Forums but it was nothing like this!

Wow, welcome!

You must be floored at the changes that have been made.
I'm mostly blown away at the changes to the understanding behind the biology, from phyto, to pods, to chemistry, carbon dosing, aminos, etc.

But there are a whole lot more pests than there was then!
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new