Back to T5 s

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting my ATI T5s back on, removing my G6s all together( tired of the app). After checking par levels; I need to install a dimmable ballast but don’t have a controller for this fixture. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do this? The space looks tight in the light fixture so I am scratching my head on this one.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting my ATI T5s back on, removing my G6s all together( tired of the app). After checking par levels; I need to install a dimmable ballast but don’t have a controller for this fixture. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do this? The space looks tight in the light fixture so I am scratching my head on this one.
Dimmable ballast for the t5’s ?
Why ?

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light isn’t a bad thing …..
can you raise the fixture

there isn’t much you can’t grow under t5’s .. and this is the main reason most end up going back to t5’s
I have mine raised as far as it can go, this fixture is rated for a bigger tank then my 75. I need to get these bulbs dimmer it looks like after measuring PAR. I removed a few of the bulbs already but still blasting my tank. Doesn’t help I have a barebottom so that light is really bouncing in there.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine raised as far as it can go, this fixture is rated for a bigger tank then my 75. I need to get these bulbs dimmer it looks like after measuring PAR. I removed a few of the bulbs already but still blasting my tank. Doesn’t help I have a barebottom so that light is really bouncing in there.
What are the park numbers ?

assuming it’s a 48” fixture . They’re 54watt bulbs .
how many bulbs ?

I had my 8 bulb fixture over my 75 years ago and only 6” above the water .

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s blasting my tank!?!Not sure what the confusion is.
Although it's possible to dim t5 lamps, it's not really the best for them it terms of par output and longevity. The best thing to do is like suggested, raise the fixture or take out a bulb until "par" is reached wich I wouldn't rely on either, I would start with less bulbs and more height then lower and add bulbs as they burn in and the tank inhabitants adjust.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 120 BB for a year out of startup at 4" from the surface with 8-t5's.
Never had a need to raise them.
Mobius app is not great but works well enough for my 4 g5 blues.
Other than the M app what did you not like about the Radions?
I converted all 4 tanks from halides to leds with no issues.
My 80g with 4 g5's took awhile to get the color I wanted but now at 100% first 4 channels and 50% last 4 channels with 50% schedule everthing is doing well.
Old 120 with T5 then current 80.

20200605_182628.jpg
20221105_160025.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable ballasts are usually 10v analog.
A 10v switching power supply and a, I believe, 10k potentiometer should work.
Believe one needs to double the resistance if you dim more than one ballast in parallel.

Needs to be put on on/ off timer as well.

Full blown bluefish or apex are the 2 common controllers but sounds like you don't need full functionality.
Common method.
Screenshot_20221126-092047.png

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable ballasts are usually 10v analog.
A 10v switching power supply and a, I believe, 10k potentiometer should work.
Believe one needs to double the resistance if you dim more than one ballast in parallel.

Needs to be put on on/ off timer as well.

Full blown bluefish or apex are the 2 common controllers but sounds like you don't need full functionality.
Common method.
Screenshot_20221126-092047.png
Thank you, yeah I looked at this, just trying to figure out the best way to mount a controller in this fixture. I might just scrap the idea all together

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 120 BB for a year out of startup at 4" from the surface with 8-t5's.
Never had a need to raise them.
Mobius app is not great but works well enough for my 4 g5 blues.
Other than the M app what did you not like about the Radions?
I converted all 4 tanks from halides to leds with no issues.
My 80g with 4 g5's took awhile to get the color I wanted but now at 100% first 4 channels and 50% last 4 channels with 50% schedule everthing is doing well.
Old 120 with T5 then current 80.

20200605_182628.jpg
20221105_160025.jpg
Biggest issue was losing the sync between the two I had. Wake up and one is on other one is off. One time woke up to like all red…..this just recently started and tried going into the app and had connection issues and so i don’t want to deal with it at the moment. I’m keeping them and will deal with them later. Maybe they can fix the app in the meantime.

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue windex look will be the sacrifice …

what Do you have stocked in the tank in terms of corals ?
Oh yeah for sure, it was originally going to be an sps tank. But wife really like Zoas and LPS so we going that direction now, happy wife, happy reefing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back