Back to T5 s

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the swap a few bulbs to actinic crowd, but I run dimmable T5's bulbs with no detriment to light longevity. They key is break in of the bulbs at full power. As said above, I control the t5 ramping with a apex, along with dimmable 0-10v ballast as my led strips aren't dimmable.

20220602_001305.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah for sure, it was originally going to be an sps tank. But wife really like Zoas and LPS so we going that direction now, happy wife, happy reefing.
Are they ever truly happy ?

zoas and lps will also appreciate the light from t5’s
Once they’re acclimated to the light , it doesn’t matter how much is thrown at them , they will love it .
Unlike leds . T5’s are not as focused

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue was losing the sync between the two I had. Wake up and one is on other one is off. One time woke up to like all red…..this just recently started and tried going into the app and had connection issues and so i don’t want to deal with it at the moment. I’m keeping them and will deal with them later. Maybe they can fix the app in the meantime.
Yea I have had a few issues like that but overall I just reset.
Been running for awhile now.
I also have my hd16's that are run through the same app. Funny I have been running the 16hd app for almost a year now with no issues. So far no issies with the 16hd's.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s the problem with these meters, you start chasing the perfect par. Sounds like everyone just throws them on and calls it a day lol.
I have asked many times for years . And as soon as I mention t5’s I always get the same answer .
You are getting enough par and not to worry about actual numbers .

there was a recent post where someone did a test with different bulbs at different depths and reported his results .
I’ll look to see if I can find it .

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the swap a few bulbs to actinic crowd, but I run dimmable T5's bulbs with no detriment to light longevity. They key is break in of the bulbs at full power. As said above, I control the t5 ramping with a apex, along with dimmable 0-10v ballast as my led strips aren't dimmable.

20220602_001305.jpg
Nice, the Orphek bars are great. I ran 2 on my 120 with halides.
Never needed to dim anything but the ramp up and down of leds is growing on me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I am going to cancel my ballast order and buy a couple of deeper blues/purple and I should be good. Thanks!
Try a search for t5’s and par on here .
See what you find .
the purple plus was a good bulb and can’t remember why I stopped using it .

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what you find .
Yeah I’m going to dig around on here. Never occurred to me to just switch bulbs, went straight to the expensive option lol.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what you find .

I like the look of the purple plus but it has a steeper PAR drop off than coral plus etc. I still use it but swap out after 9 months vs 12.

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great opportunity for a mixed reef. Acros on top and unimportant nonacros below!
That’s what this is starting to become, I started with all sps, now I have 7 different Zoas (majority on the back wall now). LPS in the center and sps on top and on one side. She wants some softies in the far corners…I am waiting for the tank to finish it’s bio battle/uglies now (7 months in) before getting her some of the leathers and what not. Don’t want to introduce a new algae or something as the tank is in a delicate spot at the moment.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what this is starting to become, I started with all sps, now I have 7 different Zoas (majority on the back wall now). LPS in the center and sps on top and on one side. She wants some softies in the far corners…I am waiting for the tank to finish it’s bio battle/uglies now (7 months in) before getting her some of the leathers and what not. Don’t want to introduce a new algae or something as the tank is in a delicate spot at the moment.
If having leathers included in the mixed reef how do you battle toxins released from the leathers from effecting other corals ?

does carbon help?
I’ve never kept leathers for this reason

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If having leathers included in the mixed reef how do you battle toxins released from the leathers from effecting other corals ?

does carbon help?
When I had my mixed tank 15 years ago I always ran carbon and had no issues.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife likes the fish, but pretty much ignores the corals.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

does carbon help?
Carbon, lots of carbon, lol. I'm softie dominant, and there is always something angry in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back