Backup heater location?

drdripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan have an inline heater for my return pump (actually a canister filter) at the end of my sump. Where should I put the backup heater?

- If I put it in the sump, the tank will not have a heat source in case of return pump failure

- If I put it in the tank, I will have to drill a hole in the lid (single polycarbonate sheet) and the cord will stick out of the tank

Backup heater will be an Eheim 100W.

OP
OP
drdripp

drdripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a backup heater?
Hmm... good question. I like to have redundancy in my systems in case something fails. I know it is common to "split" the heater power by getting two, which in itself is redundant. In my case, the two heaters must be in different locations since one is inside the canister filter.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... good question. I like to have redundancy in my systems in case something fails. I know it is common to "split" the heater power by getting two, which in itself is redundant. In my case, the two heaters must be in different locations since one is inside the canister filter.
I've found that my temperature only drops a few degrees over the course of the day without heating, so I just have a backup heater I can throw in the tank in the event one or both ever fail.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the tank is best. No need to heat the sump if your return pump goes out. Probe should be in the main tank too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my probe in the main tank. Also, most of the heaters since if the return pump fails then the tank will stay warm.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with some of the same questions when I was setting up. Ultimately I went with everything in the sump and only one heater. I have a spare in my mixing tank I can throw in if needed. Heater is controlled by the Apex and probe is in the sump as well. Turnover in the sump is high enough that the sump and display both stay at almost the exact same temp.
I didn't want equipment in the tank and I already had probe holders in the sump. Although I understand the idea behind running two heaters I didn't feel it was necessary for my tank since its just a 75gal. It makes more sense to me with larger tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back