Backup Return Pump Outside of Sump?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the area of the sump for the return pump is crowded, or if you just want to do it this way, can an external pump have a pipe drop into the sump and then start up without priming, meaning with just air in the pipe but the end of the pipe submerged? If this is idiotic, and solution out there that makes more sense?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the area of the sump for the return pump is crowded, or if you just want to do it this way, can an external pump have a pipe drop into the sump and then start up without priming, meaning with just air in the pipe but the end of the pipe submerged? If this is idiotic, and solution out there that makes more sense?
I don't think so but years ago most of our sumps had return pumps external mounted. Best to drill the sump and put in a bulkhead to feed the pump.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was gonna say the same thing as above comment. Drill sump and install a bulkhead.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

External self-priming pumps are not cheap last time I checked.

It can be done, but it's going to cost you.

Better to do as mentioned above, and use a bulkhead to feed it, then you don't need to worry about a self-priming pump.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea was to use the external pump as a safety in case the main pump goes out when on vacation. I envision a problem with having water just sitting there on an idle pump. But, maybe having the external set up on a really slow flow might keep it from caking over with calcium deposits, planning to ramp up when and if needed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back