Bacon's RSR 170 w/ Crystal Reef Aquatics sump

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but I am wondering did this reefer not come with a sump? The one I bought my 13 year old came with a sump. I am in the process of rebuilding his and may want to make some changes to it.

Koestby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but I am wondering did this reefer not come with a sump? The one I bought my 13 year old came with a sump. I am in the process of rebuilding his and may want to make some changes to it.
Im guessing he opted for a different sump, based outta his idea/needs. Original the Reefer comes with a standard sump fitted to the tank dims

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your progress! How do u like the 360X ?

So far I like it.. I am coming from the Radion G4s, but I do like the shimmer and I am still waiting on the wifi dongle to play around with the other colors. I am going to set a timer for now.

Yes, the reefer does come with a standard sump, but I wanted more water volume for stabilization and do a true fuge. I drilled my 425XL ato container for one, but I wanted to do a dedicated area. I want to have options and now I do. the quality of this sump is great!!

Im guessing he opted for a different sump, based outta his idea/needs. Original the Reefer comes with a standard sump fitted to the tank dims

Yep! When I downsized, I want to try new things and I started with a brand new sump! :)

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple updates from today:

- I started out with all Fiji pink sand.. Great sand and gave it a very clean look. As you see from pics. I was getting sand downstairs. I went ahead and took some of the Fiji out and mixed it with special grade. I am pretty pleased with the look now. I am running 80% on my Varios2 and running 2 mp10.. so do have some movement.

- The CRA sump is amazing love it. One "issue" and its only an issue with OCD people, is the water noise that is generated. There is an adjustable divider between skimmer section and return. So if you lower the divider, water noise is created from the fuge to the skimmer area. I figured out a solution! I ran an acrylic tube across the skimmer section, and then butterflied the OEM bubble trapper and have it hanging.. dead quiet!!

Yes, I could have done a little better with the silicone and the install.. don't judge!
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant idea on the sponge!

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pleased how the mod came out with quieting the water noise. I want to do something more permanent. I went ahead and ordered a 1/4 in acrylic rod and some rubber top gromments for more contact area for gluing. Also ordered a couple more oem sponges so I can switch them out.

Did a water change and might add some micro algae this week to the tank. Started ghost feeding yesterday and watching and testing. The joys of waiting

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any mod updates?

Oh the joys of kids :). Nope.. install will happen tomorrow and will post tomorrow. The makeshift one is working well.. so excited to see how it turns out.

I am trying to figure out this rats nest out in this 170. Thinking of race track and mounting things on ceiling of cabinet. Will probably get an apex. This is my only struggle currently.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it since I am redoing sons 170 what sumps are y’all recommending to swap the factory one with. Might want to go this route as well. Got tired of the ATO setup so thats not being used now.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link so it says its for a 250 but we are talking about a 170. Been away a while so maybe I am confused?

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mod update:

I first ordered a couple more OEM bubble trappers and cut them down to the skimmer section depth.. cut slips in them to hang from rod.

c6980b86efec2fdc57d5a24ab0c7fe0c.jpg

6ccbecc90394c195741490c41edb4dab.jpg

Next I ordered a 1/4” acrylic rode and cut down to length. I used top hat grommets at the end so there would be more surface contact with the sump

364f06433d22e8eecde589cd1977b40d.jpg

Finally install with acrylic cement

a379f78b6bd98eafb9a89caaad33f870.jpg

I got the tank wet on Feb 18th and finally cycled. Going to do a water change and maybe add a little livestock tomorrow.. maybe.

Next up will be wiring. I want to keep this reef simple, but I know myself so I need to plan for dosing with a DOS and possibly the “T” word underneath the cabinet.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is your only issue with the sump at this point?

I don’t even call it an issue, more of a preference. Even before the mod, you could barely hear it with the door shut. I just like to tinker and like it dead quiet... though this is what I hear all day and love :)

0546518fddd9be347b79c955223530d1.jpg

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I should start a new threat with an appropriate title :)

Background

Have had fish tanks since my teens, first one was converted from my hamster tank..And i was wondering why all my fish were dying ;Facepalm . Broke down a RSR 425XL in NY with the full system (AWC from basement).

We moved to FL and my wife was nice enough to give me the corner. My English Lab was nice enough to give me HALF the corner, so a 170 it is.

First things first, Equipment list:
( I did have a Nero 5 on the tank, great pump, just a lot for the tank)

Tank:
· Rea Sea Reefer 170 white
Sump:
· Crystal Reef Aquatics RSS250
Light:
· Kessil A360X
· Wifi Dongle*
Return:
· Varios-2 Controllable DC Pump
Power Heads:
· Vortech MP10wqd (2)
Skimmer:
· Reef Octopus Essence s-130 internal protein skimmer*
Auto Top Off
· Advanced Acylics ATO container (5 gallons)
· Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Controller:
· ApexEL Controller System*

* = Have not purchased, jury is still out

Vendors:
  • John over at Advance Acrylics is amazing, I believe I am on my 4th ATO from him
  • Julian over at Crystal Reef Aquatics is amazing, answered all the questions and the build quality is amazing as well
Currently:
  • Cycling, started on 2/21/19.. almost there

Concerns:
  • I love the sump.. its great water volume and if I decide to do refugium, LR, or frag, perfect space. Just as you can see, wires over hanging over water and does not leave room for DOSING or any other storage.. I need to get creative!
    IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
The buildish :)

Is this the new style sump?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back