Bacteria and probiotics?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read an article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine about the benefits of bacteria supplements for coral nutrition and coincidentally was reminded in a few threads on here of the benefits of carbon dosing for the same purposes (not just for nitrate export).

It seems the market has exploded with bottled bacteria/probiotic products over the last few years and I’m wondering if there are benefits to using these products over just dosing carbon (vodka/vinegar) and just letting nature inoculate whatever opportunistic bacteria species are present.

What are folks’ experience and results with the various probiotic products? Any recommendations?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read an article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine about the benefits of bacteria supplements for coral nutrition and coincidentally was reminded in a few threads on here of the benefits of carbon dosing for the same purposes (not just for nitrate export).

It seems the market has exploded with bottled bacteria/probiotic products over the last few years and I’m wondering if there are benefits to using these products over just dosing carbon (vodka/vinegar) and just letting nature inoculate whatever opportunistic bacteria species are present.

What are folks’ experience and results with the various probiotic products? Any recommendations?

If the author of the article was involved in the sale of bottled bacteria or did not provide data from controlled experiments, save your money.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative.

I want it to work but every time I dose carbon I spend months watching something die and colors fade for tenuis.

I assume this is due to the SCTLD in my tank.

I wish I could figure out a probiotic to try or some kind of competing bacteria i could grow and just try that.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the author of the article was involved in the sale of bottled bacteria or did not provide data from controlled experiments, save your money.
Ya I wasn’t going to run out and buy a specific product. Just interested in discussing them in general and if anyone is using them or has seen any benefits. I did vinegar dosing for several years with success but it was almost too effective at nitrate export and I couldn’t keep up with it. I started the carbon dosing as a nutrient export strategy, but am now interested in it as a nutrient source for corals which I hadn’t considered in the past. Corals eat bacteria.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wasn’t going to run out and buy a specific product. Just interested in discussing them in general and if anyone is using them or has seen any benefits. I did vinegar dosing for several years with success but it was almost too effective at nitrate export and I couldn’t keep up with it. I started the carbon dosing as a nutrient export strategy, but am now interested in it as a nutrient source for corals which I hadn’t considered in the past. Corals eat bacteria.
I think this is an interesting thing to discuss, the idea:
"I did vinegar dosing for several years with success but it was almost too effective at nitrate export"

I have had tanks that have "chewed up"(?) nitrate so that it always measured very low, (<5ppm) but I can't believe it was due to "nitrate export" that removed the nitrate from the tank via skimmer. The term (nitrate exort) is important, and perhaps descriptively accurate in some sense as far as our test kit results show, but the question for me is it nitrate export or reallocation, or recycling of nitrogen though biological pathways that we see happening in tanks, Carbon dosing or not that reduces the nitrates we test for?

That tank always required removal of phosphorus (GFO, or similar) with the nitrates reading zero. If I dosed ammonium nitrate colors exploded over night and phosphorus was kept at bay, or lowered. I just have not been willing to keep dosing nutrients, trying to balance them out with additions of stuff to keep them in the range I want, but I keep thinking maybe I should?

I think I have been hoping to find a more natural sweet spot, if possible.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that there are several different enzyme catalyzed reactions used by various species of denitrifying bacteria. Most of these result in the production of nitrogen gas (N2), which I assume escapes into the air surrounding our tanks, so in that way wouldn’t it be true export?

An interesting alternate pathway for denitrification is the conversion of nitrate back to nitrite. I wonder if one could figure out an appropriate ratio of bacteria utilizing the each of the pathways (N2 and NO2), perhaps you could have a system where there is constant cycling of nitrite to nitrate, only exporting enough nitrogen gas to keep nitrate in the sweet spot?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing commercial nopox awhile ago and my nitrites went through the roof. It took a ton of Internet searching but apparently that is a thing where bacteria will convert nitrate back to nitrite, redsea apparently knows about it and I've seen on the net where they've acknowledged it. It's been awhile so I don't remember where I saw it.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing commercial nopox awhile ago and my nitrites went through the roof. It took a ton of Internet searching but apparently that is a thing where bacteria will convert nitrate back to nitrite, redsea apparently knows about it and I've seen on the net where they've acknowledged it. It's been awhile so I don't remember where I saw it.
That’s exactly what I was describing in the above post and it is exciting to hear that you observed it actually happening in a reef tank! We know these type of bacteria exist and if we could somehow get the cultures of both types of denitrifying bacteria - (1. Bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrite and 2. Bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrogen gas) then hypothetically we could dial into an equilibrium that would maintain nitrate at the concentration we want, rather than the ultra low nutrient state that carbon dosing often brings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, one of the significant advantages of carbon dosing is the feeding of filter feeders with the bacteria. In my tank, sponges, for example, thrived better than before carbon dosing, and I attribute that largely to them getting bacteria, but I also cannot rule out them directly consuming the acetate I dosed via vinegar.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does through the roof mean in value?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back