Bacteria floc explosion.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose organic carbon (vodka or vinegar) upstream of my return pumps in my sump.

If I close the return pumps and then restart them, a burst of oblong, fibrous, clear-white strands come out. I’ve removed a piece to feel it, and it was slimy.

I was sitting on the couch while watching my tank, and I noticed an explosion of these same flocs. My return pumps didn’t even stop.

Is this bacteria?

My tangs definitely consume it.

@ISpeakForTheSeas

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That happens to me when I dose microbacter 7. I had to have my wife help me hold nets in front of my returns when I restart my return pump after a water change.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only occurs if or when i restart my return pump
This is great to know. Thank you. I thought it happened because of the carbon dosing, but it’s interesting to know that it also happens to “normal” tanks, too. Thank you for your response!

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose organic carbon (vodka or vinegar) upstream of my return pumps in my sump.

If I close the return pumps and then restart them, a burst of oblong, fibrous, clear-white strands come out. I’ve removed a piece to feel it, and it was slimy.

I was sitting on the couch while watching my tank, and I noticed an explosion of these same flocs. My return pumps didn’t even stop.

Is this bacteria?

My tangs definitely consume it.

@ISpeakForTheSeas

I have seen the same come out of plumbing during pump restarts whether carbon dosing or not. I usually observe pink snotty strings when carbon is being overdosed.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Films form on return pipes and pumps etc, and are often loosened by switching them off/on. Dosing organic carbon increases the amount of material that can slough off when I turn things off/on like that - in my experience.
That pale monoculture filament stuff in pipes has only happened in my tank under significant carbon dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back