Bacteria Bloom

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some fresh live sand to my 3 month cycled system about 8 days ago, thats when the bacterial bloom started. Still hasnt cleared. Any thoughts? Since then alk consumption has pretty much halted, some bleaching/recession on a few frags and rtn on a stylo.

Other than just waiting it out, any suggestions?

Almost positive the sand caused it, do I just have to wait for the new sand to cycle essentially? Or whats the deal.

Thanks for the read and comments!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you confirm if this is a bacterial bloom or the after effects of silt floating throughout the tank due to adding sand in large quantities
I would say that this is coincidental and leans towards the latter.

If so, I would recommend doing your best to catch the fine silt by using something if the equivalent to a filter pad or filter sock. Water changes would help as well. There’s a coagulant that’s works but the name escapes me right now

If it’s a bacterial bloom, then I’ve read more often than not to wait it out for two weeks. There’s also the option of using a well equipped UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
Detroit_aqua

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you confirm if this is a bacterial bloom or the after effects of silt floating throughout the tank due to adding sand in large quantities
I would say that this is coincidental and leans towards the latter.

If so, I would recommend doing your best to catch the fine silt by using something if the equivalent to a filter pad or filter sock. Water changes would help as well. There’s a coagulant that’s works but the name escapes me right now

If it’s a bacterial bloom, then I’ve read more often than not to wait it out for two weeks. There’s also the option of using a well equipped UV sterilizer.
I use filter wool in lieu of socks and change it every few days. Pretty sure it's not the silt, as I've also done 2 twenty percent water changes and saw no effect. Not really thrilled about buying a UV sterilizer as I don't plan on running one on the tank. Ill give it another week, hopefully it cleans up. Then maybe consider pursuing somethin else. Thanks for the response!

Back