Bacteria Blooms and Biopellets

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bad bacteria blooms for months now. Thought I would just wait it out, but that's not working out to well. I think I may have lost a couple tangs to low O2. Or flukes or maybe the combination. Hard to say.

Anyway, I am now suspecting that my biopellet reactor is the cause of the blooms. I am wondering is it OK to run the reactor maybe a couple hours a day to cut down on the carbon. I would rather not dig into the reactor and remove pellets. If there is no harm in just cutting run time, I'd rather do that.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.... following. Think I had the same issue with a bloom from my biopellet finally kicking in after 3-4 months of nothing. Caused a big bacterial bloom to the point all my gold hammers lost the gold tips and I decided to take the reactor offline completely. My nitrate/phos went from 30/0.75 down to 10/0.07 during the bloom. Normally that would be the goal but all my corals were very unhappy. Hope they recover now that the reactor is gone...

Didn't think about just running it a couple/few hours a day on a timer... hmmm

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.... following. Think I had the same issue with a bloom from my biopellet finally kicking in after 3-4 months of nothing. Caused a big bacterial bloom to the point all my gold hammers lost the gold tips and I decided to take the reactor offline completely. My nitrate/phos went from 30/0.75 down to 10/0.07 during the bloom. Normally that would be the goal but all my corals were very unhappy. Hope they recover now that the reactor is gone...

Didn't think about just running it a couple/few hours a day on a timer... hmmm
Seems to easy, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a good idea to stop any sort of reactor with tank water in it for too long. It can become stagnant as the O2 is used up, and potentially generate hydrogen sulfide, especially if there is substantial organic matter around (detritus, the pellets, etc.)

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a good idea to stop any sort of reactor with tank water in it for too long. It can become stagnant as the O2 is used up, and potentially generate hydrogen sulfide, especially if there is substantial organic matter around (detritus, the pellets, etc.)
That cant be good. So the question is then is running a couple hours a day enough to avoid that. Not sure that is answerable. This hobby is solving for quantum mechanics.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cant be good. So the question is then is running a couple hours a day enough to avoid that. Not sure that is answerable. This hobby is solving for quantum mechanics.
It's not enough. If plenty of carbon is provided, then bacteria can deplete all O2 from a volume of water several times over within one day.
If you cycled it every hour, like 10 minutes on an hour, that would probably avoid the worst anoxic consequences, but I don't know how the biopellets would function under that scheme.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I have been sufficiently scared out of it. Guess I will have to dig into the reactor.

ThePickeledReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellot reactors are finicky, but you should definitely try to stabilize your beneficial bacteria population. Definitely try to stabilize that and nutrients. I know with bare bottom tanks it’s pretty common or large negative space aquariums early on.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would skimming heavier help?

Since my skimmer is a little undersize, I run it as hard as I can. The truth is that I took a risk and put the reactor on a timer. I dont recommend that to anyone else, but it works for me. The blooms cleared up last month. Nutrients are low. Now I just need to figure out why I cant lose the HLLE.

Sprin001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running biopellets from BRS on a 150G. I think I've had it up for ~7 weeks now and am in the bloom stage. Nutrients are going down. My skimmer is actually slightly oversized for my tank. I'm curious how you're timer on the biopellet reactor is going as it's something I'm considering doing. I think I've decreased flow to the slowest tumble possible. I'm ~5 days into the bloom and no signs it is decreasing. I miss seeing my tank! Any other things to consider without going to UV?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back