Bacteria - don't understand it

Do you use more than 1 brand of good bacteria?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Do not use any

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't get it (amongst a gazillion other things!). There are several great companies as we know that sell good bacteria: Dr. Tim's, ATM, Fritz and others. Are they the same strains of bacteria or their own proprietary strains? If they are their own, why not use all? Is there any harm to have more than one good strain of bacteria? Seems like I load it up with all kinds of good strains?

Are there expiration dates? Bought one and had no expiration date on it. Should they be refrigerated after opening or does the cold harm the bacteria?

Thanks

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria tend to have a lot of morphs in general, so I’d imagine there’s several strains in all of them. They likely morph even within the tanks, but I couldn’t be certain. You probably pick up some different kinds of bacteria anytime you add frags also. Bacteria produce waste too. If the waste builds up to toxic levels, they will start to die off. I’m not sure what them at level would be

I also don’t know about the cooler temperatures. It typically inhibits bacterial growth but doesn’t prevent it. I’m not sure if this is true of the bacteria’s being sold for our tanks.
Great questions though. Hopefully someone who knows more can provide better answers.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used three. Tim's, MB7,and live sand plus I let my tank develop its own local strain before adding anything. My thinking was that more diversity initially is more chance for a beneficial strain winning the survival of the fittest competition. Because at the end of the day only a few strains will survive. Probably just self affirming pablum but it's what I did.

I still dose MB7 occasionally but doubt buy more when it's used up.

Some bacteria can survive in stasis for a very long time. Some don't. Follow the instructions. Some companies are reputable some aren't.

Lastly, I'm not convinced multiple strains of bacteria do anything in the short or long term. You'll find others who disagree.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some amazing live rock that I took from its tank to my house, which was about a 10 minute drive. I also added bacteria. I never had detectable ammonia levels and no nitrite within 12 hours. I suspect it was the rock that made the difference, but maybe it was the bacteria? Without a side by side comparison, who would be able to tell?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back