Bacteria of Choice

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

With the whole slew of Bacteria in a bottle out there, what is everyone's choice?

I personally dose Vibrant weekly with my waterchanges and have had amazing results.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is good used it. But caused dinoflagellets due to zero po4. Personally dont have a favorite.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Microbacter 7 and Vibrant. Only dose a drop or two of each after feeding coral.
Important INFO:
barebottom tanks
Spot feed LRS (Nano Reef) frozen to LPS coral, Reef Roids soaked in Red Sea AB+ for SPS Tuesday and Friday mornings. Add drops of bacteria.
Turkey baste as much detritus as possible(both sucking it up and blasting it into water column so filter socks can filter it out- then change socks). Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
10% water changes Friday night(midnight when I get home from work).
Takes a total of about 2 1/2 hours of my life to do above each week.
Fish get spot feed 3-4 times a day(LRS nano) and not much each time.

Even doing all the above I still would get small out breaks of algae until I bought some Microbacter 7 for a completely different reason and read the label. Been dosing the drop or 2 a week since and--------NO algae outbreaks.
Disclaimer: this works for me, I have no idea if it will for you.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using microbacter7 with good results. After battling dinos and gha I've used it for the past few months religiously. Corals and all fish doing great.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Microbacter 7 and Vibrant. Only dose a drop or two of each after feeding coral.
Important INFO:
barebottom tanks
Spot feed LRS (Nano Reef) frozen to LPS coral, Reef Roids soaked in Red Sea AB+ for SPS Tuesday and Friday mornings. Add drops of bacteria.
Turkey baste as much detritus as possible(both sucking it up and blasting it into water column so filter socks can filter it out- then change socks). Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
10% water changes Friday night(midnight when I get home from work).
Takes a total of about 2 1/2 hours of my life to do above each week.
Fish get spot feed 3-4 times a day(LRS nano) and not much each time.

Even doing all the above I still would get small out breaks of algae until I bought some Microbacter 7 for a completely different reason and read the label. Been dosing the drop or 2 a week since and--------NO algae outbreaks.
Disclaimer: this works for me, I have no idea if it will for you.
Zeovit & Prodibio
For those of you doing more than one, how do you know the strains in one arnt the same as in the other? How do you coordinate dosing? And how much of each?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to advocate running the sps system without relying on retail bacteria supplements. Keep the cash. Spend it on the correct diverse feed quality, solved. Focus on not storing waste, which requires more oxygen command during sludge digestion in typical aged sandbeds etc and design high throughput high turnover sps systems that keep ideal feeds suspended vs sinked. natural bac systems will self regulate if you export competing filter clogging detritus

no retail supplements buying required

Last edited:

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you doing more than one, how do you know the strains in one arnt the same as in the other? How do you coordinate dosing? And how much of each?

Some strains being the same is likely a given. Some not being the same is also.

My opinion is that diversity is a good thing, as long as we are providing conditions that promote what is desirable. Bateria are both prolific and eventually ubiquitous, given their individually specific favorable conditions.

Follow product labels & rcommendtions. It’s not likely that more is necessarily better. Some will dominate, others won’t, depending on the above conditions.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back