View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 hours results are in:

phosphates are a clear zero
DB6689AA-D89C-4393-96B3-42511626D598.jpeg

nitrates climbed back up to 20 as @taricha predicted

this is consistent with the nutrient limitations that tell us if a tank becomes limited in phosphates a increase in nitrates is expected I still got a few more hours to go so I’ve added 0.6 ppm of phosphates again to see the changes. This morning there was jus a small haze to the tank and now is almost milky white.

At 10 hours
AF404AB8-E992-4B9B-B257-D19013153E6E.jpeg

At 18 hours and around 7 hours after being phosphates limited
9AF60B02-0612-45E5-A86A-A5B0E9330706.jpeg

At this point Dino’s would set in and the funky algae species would begin to thrive and take control of the tank if you didn’t dose back up to 0.6 ppm. Personally I try to keep at ratio of about 100:1 N : P. I think most pro reefers I speak with keep their tanks around there. Although I do see some more like 200:1 and I have seen 70:1. Maybe if you can stay a little closer to a normal reef tank ratio we could observe things that might happen in a normal reef, but without rock, sand, fish, skimmer, etc…not sure how well that would work.

Example…the NO3 is 20 ppm. Dose up to 0.2 ppm PO4 instead of 0.6 ppm. That inverse ratio could potentially start to grow algae and create other events that may not happen if you were close to a good ratio.

For every 1 ppm NO3 and .01 ppm PO4 if possible. :) :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D02B134-7373-4339-9B20-D4527203CC65.jpeg

the bacteria responsible for this last bloom is unknown although is still consuming phosphates like crazy, I’ve added since the 18 hours mark 2.1ppm of phosphates and it fully depleted almost instantly. I would suspect that nitrifying bacteria couldn’t use this much phosphates

I wonder if this is what happened to my current rock. Maybe it was just so loaded with bacteria that they’ve been sucking down the PO4. Maybe they never died in the last 6 months, but multiplied to insane numbers.? Hmm…could it be?!?

Maybe I need to kill some bacteria and the system will stop sucking my PO4 down. Heh…who knows.

Actually, there’s no way because if there were that many Heterotrophs in the system the water would be cloudy. Although I did have a nasty Heterotrophic bloom in the beginning for over 1 month.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank
Long story short (2 story’s)

First let me say I’ve typically had PO4 leech for up to 6 months, but never once have I personally had a system bind it.

This system has been binding my PO4 for 5+ months now. I’m currently dosing 0.14 ppm PO4 daily. Yes…that “isn’t” a typo! .14 ppm daily. It’s pretty crazy! The rock is sucking it up like Kool-Aid.

Here’s my only logic as to why I think this is happening:

The rock (Marco dry rock) was cured (in a Brute can) for just over 1 year. The first 6 months I treated it like a reef tank. Fed it, dosed it, kept the N&P around 5 and .05 ppm. I added multiple species of bacteria, live sand, pods, coralline algae, etc.

Here’s where I think it went wrong;

The second 6 months I got hit hard in the hospital with Covid. I’m a frontline healthcare worker. So obviously I was coming home beat down day in and day out. I let it go to poop. Quit testing, didn’t dose it, no more N&P, no more nutrition,
Nothing.

I think the second six months the Bacteria completely depleted the N&P and maybe even ate into the rock surface a bit tying to get food. Not sure what happened, but it had to be something similar, because the rock is taking so much PO4 it’s insane. No matter what I dose it’s sucking it down like it wants to forever drink. I’m sure it will hit a saturation point soon, but wow…I thought I have seen it all until now. I thought this tank would bypass every other system because I cured the rock for so long, and it probably would have had I not added that bacteria.

It’s either that, or I got some completely F ***ed up rock.

What do you guys suspect is going on here.?
thank you for all you done during those times of need, your bravery and effort is really appreciated by us all.
I would say that besides the rock binding some phosphates you may have some of the bacteria you dosed thriving in your tank, I would have a feeling that you may have some heterotrophic bacteria that has a great need for phosphates living in your reef.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point Dino’s would set in and the funky algae species would begin to thrive and take control of the tank if you didn’t dose back up to 0.6 ppm. Personally I try to keep at ratio of about 100:1 N : P. I think most pro reefers I speak with keep their tanks around there. Although I do see some more like 200:1 and I have seen 70:1. Maybe if you can stay a little closer to a normal reef tank ratio we could observe things that might happen in a normal reef, but without rock, sand, fish, skimmer, etc…not sure how well that would work.

Example…the NO3 is 20 ppm. Dose up to 0.2 ppm PO4 instead of 0.6 ppm. That inverse ratio could potentially start to grow algae and create other events that may not happen if you were close to a good ratio.

For every 1 ppm NO3 and .01 ppm PO4 if possible. :) :)
In my view the problem with ratios is that we can’t see them, the ratios is what’s gets consumed by the tank in this case for example we knew the total of nutrients added to the system, we had 20ppm of nitrates 0.3 ppm of phosphates and 5ml of carbon ( not sure how much in ppm).
I’m the first 10 hours we had 10 ppm of nitrates and 0.2 ppm of phosphates used by the system ( not sure how much carbon was used )
This is the numbers that we can make ratios from, we need to do a ratio from what’s utilised and not by what’s left. This is why wend talking about redfield some folks try and make ratios from residual and that’s wrong, we don’t have a way to make ratios as we don’t know how much C N P we added to our systems and how much C N P fish produce by respiration and waste
Eventually once understood experiments like this could take us closer from usable ratios.
For example if we were able to determine the C N P content of the food we added to our system daily we could be close to make a ratio by determining what was used from what we added.
What’s not been utilised by tank organisms will show as residual phosphates and residual nitrates.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view the problem with ratios is that we can’t see them, the ratios is what’s gets consumed by the tank in this case for example we knew the total of nutrients added to the system, we had 20ppm of nitrates 0.3 ppm of phosphates and 5ml of carbon ( not sure how much in ppm).
I’m the first 10 hours we had 10 ppm of nitrates and 0.2 ppm of phosphates used by the system ( not sure how much carbon was used )
This is the numbers that we can make ratios from, we need to do a ratio from what’s utilised and not by what’s left. This is why wend talking about redfield some folks try and make ratios from residual and that’s wrong, we don’t have a way to make ratios as we don’t know how much C N P we added to our systems and how much C N P fish produce by respiration and waste
Eventually once understood experiments like this could take us closer from usable ratios.
For example if we were able to determine the C N P content of the food we added to our system daily we could be close to make a ratio by determining what was used from what we added.
What’s not been utilised by tank organisms will show as residual phosphates and residual nitrates.

I agree with that.

From an anecdotal standpoint we know that corals do really pretty darn well at around 100:1 I’d even say there’s a lot of pros running bouncing between like 100:1 & 150-200:1

Yes, corals can and will adapt to pretty much any conditions (as long as stability is provided), but I can tell you form experience that 100:1 is pretty good.

Somewhere there is a study and I forget where I read or heard this (you may recall) but they found that all the corals from “multiple reefs” were up taking nutrients close to that ratio. I don’t believe this was the Redfield ratio as those numbers look crazy to me, but it was pretty amazing that all the corals were consuming the same amounts of N : P across several different reefs. I wish I could recall where I read or saw that study. If I find it I’ll post it up. Very interesting read.

Anyway, from my viewpoint I’d like to see it closer to a normal reef tank ratio, but that’s just me and this is not my experiment. :)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that.

From an anecdotal standpoint we know that corals do really pretty darn well at around 100:1 I’d even say there’s a lot of pros running bouncing between like 100:1 & 150-200:1

Yes, corals can and will adapt to pretty much any conditions (as long as stability is provided), but I can tell you form experience that 100:1 is pretty good.

Somewhere there is a study and I forget where I read or heard this (you may recall) but they found that all the corals from “multiple reefs” were up taking nutrients close to that ratio. I don’t believe this was the Redfield ratio as those numbers look crazy to me, but it was pretty amazing that all the corals were consuming the same amounts of N : P across several different reefs. I wish I could recall where I read or saw that study. If I find it I’ll post it up. Very interesting read.

Anyway, from my viewpoint I’d like to see it closer to a normal reef tank ratio, but that’s just me and this is not my experiment. :)

This ratios would theoretically only be helpful to determine what is being removed by assimilation from a system by bacteria, this would be of some importance as if the bacteria is removing excess nutrients then it will mean corals would have less or none available.

Mechanical filtration doesn’t remove nutrients as many misinterpret the actual use of mechanical filtration.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ratios would theoretically only be helpful to determine what is being removed by assimilation from a system by bacteria, this would be of some importance as if the bacteria is removing excess nutrients then it will mean corals would have less or none available.

Mechanical filtration doesn’t remove nutrients as many misinterpret the actual use of mechanical filtration.

Bacteria does remove excess nutrients. If you dose Waste Away or Eco Balance the nutrients decline (differently) depending on the system. A lot of reefers use bacteria to control nutrients and to feed the corals.

Yes, Mechanical filtration removes organics that would become nutrients or in many cases excess nutrients.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Mechanical filtration removes organics that would become nutrients or in many cases excess nutrients.

that’s my understanding as well, I have seen threads where for example people thought that they could remove more nitrates and phosphates by increasing the size of a protein skimmer for example, this is only correct to avoid more nutrients to be released in to the tank by organics as you mentioned, the existing excess in nutrients can only be address with bacteria, phosphates absorbing medias or macro algaes that will export nutrients by assimilation also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back