bacteria

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, Reefer community
my tank is now two running and cycling and have notice a green color grow on the sand and rock scape was told it was some time of Bacteria

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, Reefer community
my tank is now two running and cycling and have notice a green color grow on the sand and rock scape was told it was some time of Bacteria
A picture would help but that's normal for a new tank. Nothing to be concerned with. All sorts of things are going to pop up within your first year. I like to dose microbacter 7 a couple times a week in a new tank. Even after the first year mark. Populates the good bacteria.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that means your cycle is done. you can't have been underwater long enough to develop algae and not be cycled for filter bacteria=rule of benthic verification in updated cycling science. filter bac house into the system well before visible algae

you would now move on from cycling and into common reefing algae management.

OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the very quick responds here a couple of pictures of want is happen.

Attachments

• 1000001381.jpg
    1000001381.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 1000001387.jpg
    1000001387.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would help but that's normal for a new tank. Nothing to be concerned with. All sorts of things are going to pop up within your first year. I like to dose microbacter 7 a couple times a week in a new tank. Even after the first year mark. Populates the good bacteria.
i just posted a couple of pictures and I did dose with microbacter 7 yesterday

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank has been setup longer than ten days, correct? and you've inputted feed of some sort, in order to fuel that plant growth is that correct (cycle dissection based on visual clues and stated clues, not factoring any test kits at all)

the bright lighting is growing that sheen, it should be reduced, you don't have corals demanding that much light and newer algae will take over soon if it's not reduced.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you see the spindly growths sticking off the live rock in the pic

was that rock wet, from a pet store, when you brought it home? those growths can't come from bottled bacteria.

1693411141202.png

OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that means your cycle is done. you can't have been underwater long enough to develop algae and not be cycled for filter bacteria=rule of benthic verification in updated cycling science. filter bac house into the system well before visible algae

you would now move on from cycling and into common reefing algae management.
then i should be happy that i have passed the first challenge that i have completed the cycle

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was that rock wet from a pet store, marked live rock, when you brought it home?

OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank has been setup longer than ten days, correct? and you've inputted feed of some sort, in order to fuel that plant growth is that correct (cycle dissection based on visual clues and stated clues, not factoring any test kits at all)

the bright lighting is growing that sheen, it should be reduced, you don't have corals demanding that much light and newer algae will take over soon if it's not reduced.
yes that is correct for more the 10 day i had just turn the light on to take the pictures and reduce the light to 50 percent blues and 25 percent whites

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent. visual-based cycling is a cool trick.

when something is green it's usually a chlorophyll-based organism (plant or maybe a moneran mat) and those take a while to set up. they take longer than the ammonia line on a cycling chart (10 days) and that's how we use plant growth to gauge cycles without having to ask you about your test kits, or what you added etc. so that rock was dry when you put it into the tank is that right? it wasn't held in water at the pet store, it was sitting on a shelf?

agreed, reducing lighting is the best move so far and also siphon that off the sandbed, never leave potentially invasive plants in place/you can see what that winds up causing in any thread in this forum.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will still encounter cycles of various plants and moneran mats/cyanobacteria but regarding the need for bottle bacteria we're past that phase. you're into reefing choices now. your tank can carry fish, but if you add them right now without disease preps: see the fish disease forum for what will happen in a few months. check any help thread

OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent. visual-based cycling is a cool trick.

when something is green it's usually a chlorophyll-based organism (plant or maybe a moneran mat) and those take a while to set up. they take longer than the ammonia line on a cycling chart (10 days) and that's how we use plant growth to gauge cycles without having to ask you about your test kits, or what you added etc. so that rock was dry when you put it into the tank is that right? it wasn't held in water at the pet store, it was sitting on a shelf?

agreed, reducing lighting is the best move so far and also siphon that off the sandbed, never leave potentially invasive plants in place/you can see what that winds up causing in any thread in this forum.
thank you very much for the great explanantion Brandon 429 that was very helpful and the rock where dry when added to tank. I will work on get that sand siphon .

OP
OP
desert fish

desert fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will still encounter cycles of various plants and moneran mats/cyanobacteria but regarding the need for bottle bacteria we're past that phase. you're into reefing choices now. your tank can carry fish, but if you add them right now without disease preps: see the fish disease forum for what will happen in a few months. check any help thread
okay i will do that thanks again for all the help

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back