(Bacterial) Food for Thought

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll-

Wanted to update you to a recent successful development in our largest running Triton Reef (850g). The tank has done extremely well with a stable Triton environment and has continued to color up over time. I feel like the refugium is a complete mystery because one month it looks wonderful and nutrients are at an all time low and the next month the whole thing is dying and we get a little cyano in the display (not sheets, it's like a spattering on the sand).

I dose Zeobak in every single tank we maintain. I have no evidence beyond my own observations but that bacterial strain seems to do a ton for the health of a reef. We see increased water clarity, increased stability, lower phosphate, less algae and cyano, the list goes on. I generally get a 50mL bottle and have any new customer dose it daily into the food they are feeding until the bottle is gone and never worry about it again.

Well, I've never dosed the 850 with Zeobak. My understanding is that the Triton Method has some available carbon in its dosing formula. This is further supplemented as algae in the refugium breaks down and releases more carbon back into the water column. Started dosing Zeobak 2 weeks ago and what a difference. Water clarity is insane, coral coloration has improved, and the refugium is looking better than it has in weeks.

I by no means think this is magic cure all but it might be worth considering dosing a bacterial supplement if you are running Triton. My personal evidence supports Zeobak but I'd love to hear if anyone has tried any of the other supplements (Prodibio, Brightwell, Dr Tim's, etc.)

John

OP
OP
CapAquaATX

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A certain amount of die off in the fuge is supposed to happen (is my understanding). That algae breaks down and sends carbon into the system fueling bacterial growth (and coral growth since corals are mostly bacterivores). If Zeobak is the best beneficial probiotic to feed coral, help water quality, etc (as is my personal observation) then the two working symbiotically makes a ton of sense.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back