Bacterial fungus? Precautions?

truben1010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish that had some sort of fungus that was growing on its eyes(only fish in the tank). It would grow on one first then go to the other. She passed away in about 2 weeks. Her passing away will be about 14 weeks ago on the first week of November. Will leaving the tank fowl kill the fungus and not endanger my new fish or? Here are some low quality pictures of her while I was trying to use fungus cure and melafix.
4152e7993813bbac01c574db89e108a6.jpg

Here is a picture of her dead. It looked like what’re she had was eating her eye.
427c74f184bd87c5a6a1a802691876f4.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That _might_ have been Brooklynella, or possibly a bacterial infection. If it was brook, then a "fallow" period of six weeks should see it eradicated from your display. Bacteria ... they're everywhere, all the time, but most healthy fish can fend them off most of the time.

As an aside, I'm going to move this thread over to the Fish Disease forum, where the eyes sitting in front of the most knowledgeable minds on Reef2Reef will see it and be able to chime in.

~Bruce

OP
OP
T

truben1010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That _might_ have been Brooklynella, or possibly a bacterial infection. If it was brook, then a "fallow" period of six weeks should see it eradicated from your display. Bacteria ... they're everywhere, all the time, but most healthy fish can fend them off most of the time.

As an aside, I'm going to move this thread over to the Fish Disease forum, where the eyes sitting in front of the most knowledgeable minds on Reef2Reef will see it and be able to chime in.

~Bruce

Well I had the clownfish for 1 year and 1 month and it randomly got the illness. I don’t think it was brook because it didn’t look like spiderweb ish stuff on her skin. Maybe a bacterial infection. She had it twice. I moved her to a qt and treated with fungus cure and melafix and it seemed to have worked but once I moved her back she slowly began to get it back

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my 12-13 ish week going fallow. Would this prevent anything if there were to be fungus in the water?

Fungus is extremely rare in a saltwater environment. Most of the time it is either a bacterial infection or a virus (e.g. Lymphocystis) you are seeing.

Back